View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Spaminator

I agree that it is not a good idea for posters to write things along the lines of 'Go take Zoloft.'

However, anti-depressant medication does save lives, even as it often has dreadful side effects. Yes, it is overprescribed, is not for everyone, and probably should not be taken over a long period of time. Ideally, I agree with RP that folks should deal with their stuff unmedicated, sober and unaddicted.

But it's important to recognize that this is not possible for some people at some times. And that SSRI medication, carefully considered and administered, can be extremely useful.

And if they are so inclined, posters, while being careful not to play doctor, may suggest that seeing a psychologist and/or a psychiatrist, and perhaps medication, are options that folks may want to think about. It is similar to suggesting someone may want to talk to a therapist or counselor.

NYCindie, RP - I know that you two were not telling Gort never, ever mention medication again. That's clearly not what you meant. But I feel it is important to point out that medication, while often problematic, can help people. And it can be important to tell people that.