View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
The fact that a guy like that could be domming anyone is another reason why I find the whole D/s scene distasteful -- seems like there should be a test you should pass or an apprenticeship to undergo before being allowed to do it.
There are scumbags in every scene, every walk of life. If anything, people in the lifestyle are in a better position to protect themselves because there is information and education available. Think of all the teenage girls getting convinced by their boyfriends to forego protection, under the guise of "it's ok baby, I'm a virgin too." When people get involved in the lifestyle, and someone with experience notices how naive they are, it's not uncommon to take them through a crash course of self-protection.

Education is really what's more important than apprenticeship. I mean, electricians and contractors go through apprenticeships, but that doesn't stop some of them from cutting corners to save a buck. At the end of the day, the "consumer" has to be self-educated and aware of the situation.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."