View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMDC View Post
Interesting comment because I'm constantly wondering if I'm TOO nice. I've been told by my therapist that I don't stand up for what I want enough.
I get that from my therapist(s) too.

I wouldn't think about it as being TOO nice. Maybe, like me, you're just somebody who thinks a lot and takes into consideration the feelings and thoughts of other people before making decisions or jumping into situations. This is not a bad thing. Not throwing yourself into whatever situation without thinking about how it might affect those around you is a good thing!

However, you do also need to make sure your needs are being met and you are being treated with respect and consideration. Part of this means that you have to sit and take a good look at yourself and figure out what you need from a relationship (or person), and what considerations are important to you. If you don't know what those are, it's easy to just go with the flow for everybody else and then get caught up in things that aren't working for you.

So figuring out what you want/need for yourself FIRST is really important. Then, of course, you have to communicate that with your partner(s).