View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
One aspect of their relationship is that they are free to have sexual/romantic relationships with other people as long as they are completely honest and open about it with each other.

Now, in the 44 or so years that they have known each other, neither of them have had sex with other people, or had poly relationships with other people (admittedly, they could've been lying to me. I don't know why they would though).

So, what does this mean?

Are they naturally poly, but have never met anyone that they have had a serious interest in? Are they naturally poly, but don't want to deal with the complications that come with acting out their desires? Are they naturally poly, but have no interest in acting out on their desires due to (ingrained) learned behaviour? Or (this is what I think) are they pathologically incabable of anything but monogamy? These are all rhetoricals btw.
Or maybe for them, they're just people for whom being poly or mono is not the issue. Perhaps, as for many others (myself included), they view polyamory and monogamy not as something to identify as, but simply relationship structures that they can choose if and when it feels right. Perhaps they didn't need to wrestle with the "am I poly" question, and that knowing the option was available to them was satisfying enough for them.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein

Last edited by nycindie; 11-08-2011 at 06:05 PM.