View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 12:44 AM

It's amazing how quickly people feel old these days. I'm only in my 30s and I'll say something at work around some of the other people at my level and they'll just stare at me like I had a penis growing out of my forehead. Then I remember that these people where sitting in their own poop while I was rocking out to 80's music and things like the 8bit NES where THE game system (I work in a toy store, we talk about video games a lot). Several of my younger co-workers don't even remember the joy of listening to a cassette tape (anyone remember sitting next to the radio with your finger on Record for when that awesome song came on? I do!) let alone seen or listened to a working record player or, heaven forbid, a 486 computer.

Culture moves fast these days. What's hot one moment is dead the next. If it's more then a few years old it's dead weight. Although it does amuse me when the younger coworkers come to me and ask about older video games they might try, or older movies to watch.

Of course, I grew up listening to music from the 50s - 70s as that's what my mother listened to, only to discover some of the pretty awesome bands from the 80s on my own. Also the local NPR station used to play old radio dramas at night. I'd listen to them before bed and as I'd drift off to sleep. I loved those damned things.