View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 01:34 PM

HSV-2 is not that big a deal. Something like 1 in 8 men and 1 in 4 women have it already. It is likely that a good many potential sexual partners you meet already have it.

It's not too much of an inconvenience, I've heard, after the first few outbreaks (which can be severe). There are antiviral medications you can take during an outbreak to shorten its length and lessen its severity, and those are best talked about with a doctor, not me.

Avoid sexual contact when you have an outbreak--it's the time you're most likely to pass it on. The disease can shed asymptomatically, also, though that is much less common. Also, use condoms. It doesn't totally negate risk, but it really helps.

I don't have any HSV, but a guy I'm seeing (Sven) has HSV-1. He has had it for many years and rarely gets outbreaks anymore. My husband and I talked about how we were willing to assume the small risk of my getting HSV-1. Sven has had one outbreak (the first for several years) during our involvement. I didn't engage in any contact with his mouth until it had cleared up. It was a little over a week. Not a big deal.

Don't panic. You'll be fine! What you have is common.