View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 02:27 AM
peanutbutter87 peanutbutter87 is offline
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 8

It's a paper for a research course, not for publication or presentations that will go online.

Originally Posted by hyperskeptic View Post
Whether you need to do "something else" before posting questions like this depends on what you intend to do with the data you collect.

If you're writing a paper for a class, and your paper won't be used for any other purpose than to fulfill the requirements of a particular course, then you generally don't need to worry to much about formal procedures.

If you're writing a paper for publication, aimed at producing generalizable knowledge, then you really need to follow some sort of formal procedure. In the U.S., anyone at an institution that receives federal money who conducts research involving human subjects has to have a research protocol approved by an Institutional Review Board (IRB). The main requirement is to secure the informed consent of anyone who responds, which usually involves disclosing (whenever possible) the purpose of the study and any risks involved - including the risk of embarrassment or other social consequences.

I don't know what comparable requirements there might be in Canada, but you should probably find out.

There is a gray area in between work for a class and work for publication, say if you give a presentation in class of which a video is posted on YouTube . . .
Reply With Quote