View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 01:18 AM
hyperskeptic hyperskeptic is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 451

Originally Posted by peanutbutter87 View Post
this research is for academic purpose...I'm at UofT and writing an anthropology research paper on love, sex and marriage, specifically the working of polyamorous relationships....If someone is not conformable with this, could you please let me know with me using this information, could you please let me know (it's obviously anonymous)...I wasn't sure I needed to do something else before I posted the questions
Whether you need to do "something else" before posting questions like this depends on what you intend to do with the data you collect.

If you're writing a paper for a class, and your paper won't be used for any other purpose than to fulfill the requirements of a particular course, then you generally don't need to worry too much about formal procedures.

If you're writing a paper for publication, aimed at producing generalizable knowledge, then you really need to follow some sort of formal procedure. In the U.S., anyone at an institution that receives federal money who conducts research involving human subjects has to have a research protocol approved by an Institutional Review Board (IRB). The main requirement is to secure the informed consent of anyone who responds, which usually involves disclosing (whenever possible) the purpose of the study and any risks involved - including the risk of embarrassment or other social consequences.

I don't know what comparable requirements there might be in Canada, but you should probably find out.

There is a gray area in between work for a class and work for publication, say if you give a presentation in class of which a video is posted on YouTube . . .

Last edited by hyperskeptic; 11-01-2011 at 02:34 AM. Reason: spelling error
Reply With Quote