View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 10:33 PM

I agree with AutumnalTone that it is a small cross-section of poly people who go to those things. I also feel it is hugely distasteful when polyamorists take an elitist, holier-than-thou stance that anyone who lives polyamorously is more evolved than those who are monogamous. There is more to who I am than how many people I love. And I dislike how poly groups align themselves with other groups that I see would only marginalize polyamorists further. Been thinking a lot about that lately.

Your thread is timely, for me anyway, because I recently read an old discussion thread about proposing a national Poly Coming Out Day and there were lots of folks who disagreed with the idea (myself included). The thread is here: National Poly Coming Out Day and, again, I really like AutumnalTone's contributions to that thread, in posts #4 and 6. I have been feeling a little frustrated about wanting more poly-accepting people in my life and have been thinking of getting more involved in the local groups -- but it's the possibility of being around this posturing about poly being superior to mono that keeps me away.
The world opens up... when you do.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia

Click here for a Solo Poly view on hierarchical relationships
Click here to find out why the Polyamorous Misanthrope is feeling disgusted.

Last edited by nycindie; 10-18-2011 at 10:38 PM.