View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
There would be no need for LGBT pride or poly pride or anything like that if our lives were generally understood and accepted by the rest of society. If telling my parents or co-,workers about my gf and my gf's lovely husband were as easy as telling them about my bf, again, no need for a movement.

These days, on LGBT issues at least, it's much easier than it used to be to be out without being ostracized or attacked. Why? Because of the movement's work over the decades. Because people stood up and stood together and talked about who they were publicly and challenged the negative stereotypes and made it possible for more and more people to do the same, made it possible for celebrities to come out without ruining their careers. By showing the public at large that we felt pride in our loves and our lives, rather than shame, we made people stop and rethink their attitudes and assumptions.

Change doesn't happen on its own, and we still have a long way to go. But you can be bi and you can be casually out if you choose to be without being in danger because of the LGBT movement, so please don't be so quick to dismiss it now. Being forced to live in the closet ruins and even ends lives -- pride can save them. It's not about being special or better than others, it's about supporting each other and changing the world. I'm not saying you need to go find a march to participate in, but why denigrate the community that's done so much for all of us?
True. Let me just say that have nothing against the LGBT movement as a whole, and that I believe that their overall intentions are admirable. I guess it just doesn't appeal to me personally for reasons that are off-topic.

And yep, the rest of you are correct. People will be people. Haters gonna hate etc.

I suppose I just got my hopes a little too high up.