View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundedSpirit View Post
Redpepper - hope you don't mind.....
No. I don't mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundedSpirit View Post
I agree this has been an age old problem. But what's most difficult I feel is embracing that 'label' and rising above the negativity normally associated with it. And yes, it is somewhat similar to what prostitutes endure. And looking back over history you'll find some professionals who have made this leap - risen above the negativity. They are proud of their profession and have developed ways to let the stigma run off their backs.
I've seen the same thing with the 'slut' label. I've known a few and some that were actually proud of it. Justifiably so.
Because they WERE actually healers - even before that concept became public. Inside, they knew. They knew the impact they were having. They accepted the shots that came with it. A rare breed indeed, but foresighted and admirable.

And, at least from my experience, I'd share a comment that may matter to some. The label 'slut' - for all it's seeming negative connotations, is not in reality as negative in it's effects as everyone might think ! It's literally a term assigned out of jealousy and envy and generates far more unspoken respect that most are aware of. I can't think of an actual instance where any was rejected from a job - even an important social engagement, because of their reputation as a 'slut'. Generally it's approached like......."well he/she is a slut BUT.....". And that BUT just acts as the lubricant that lets things flow forward much as they would have minus the label.
I disagree here. To me a slut is not a sexual healer. Its someone who enjoys the amount of sex they feel comfortable with regardless and without thought of what others say. Usually, but not always, before they are called a slut.

Historically, for most, people go underground or are shamed into not repeating the experience that got them the negative name to begin with. To me its completely a "self" journey. Which seems to me is a good reason why it hurts so much when people point a finger and say, "you're a slut."

I commend anyone that can own that title with pride. I am totally not there yet with the word "slut." In actions, however,

To me a sexual healer is someone that has sex with people they see as less fortunate, in need of comforting, closeness or just a good fuck. There is little to no thought of themselves. Its an act of giving that they get something out of, not the having of sex necessarily. Sex trade workers get money out of it, and if they are like my friend, a sense of accomplishment and pride that they were of good service.

I used to work for a non-profit as a therapist that supported sex trade workers. Its not an uncommon thing to enjoy the role of healer as far as I know. Slutdom rarely comes into it, although it can help a person love the benefits of their job. Sexual healing and slutdom can most definitely go hand in hand, but there is a difference in my mind.

Last edited by redpepper; 10-13-2011 at 07:59 PM.