View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 12:52 AM
Custodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningTwilight View Post
Korzybski is a very painful read. Hayakawa's Language in Thought and Action is much easier going. :-)

MT
Yeah, I own a copy of "Science and Sanity" but I just use it for reference. There are other books that EXPLAIN Korzybski's concepts much better. ONe of them is Quantum Psychology by Robert Anton Wilson. Another is How Real Is Real by Paul Watzsalwick (HRIR doesn't only talk about GS/E-prime but many of the concepts are built on the same fundamental principles, such as "the map is not the territory" and "the perception of reality is not the same as reality" - i paraphrase). AS a matter of fact, I believe that people should not even try to understand what the other one is saying until they have read HRIR, but I realize that it is irksome to go around saying "You really should read these books so you can be enlightened like I am. I used to have my head up me ass like you, before I read these books and became aware".

But it's true. I'd rather just make fun of other people's ignorance than insult them by trying to help them overcome it. Not very new-agey of me, but i do make people laugh occasionally.