Thread: Turnabout
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma View Post
Yeah, I need to make that counseling appointment, right?!
Yes. He's manipulated and gaslighted* you right into a corner, right where he wants you. Your "boundaries" of how you could express your love to Butch were so tight... but not limited enough for Sundance, it seems. So he forced your hand, got you to break up with B, and now he is free to see Barbie anytime he wants, 2 hours away in the town where they both work for the same company!

This isn't poly, this is cheating.

*defintion of gaslighting

Quote:
gaslighting
A common form of brainwashing in which an abuser tries to falsely convince the victim that the victim is defective, for any purpose whatsoever, such as making the victim more pliable and easily controlled, or making the victim more emotional and therefore more needy and dependent. {You're reading "Definition of Gaslighting" by J. E. Brown.}

Often done by friends and family members, who claim (and may even believe) that they are trying to be helpful. The gaslighting abuser sees himself or herself as a nurturing parental figure in relation to the victim, and uses gaslighting as a means for keeping the victim in that relationship, perhaps as punishment for the victim's attempt to break out of the dependent role.

Example 1: If an abusive person says hurtful things and makes you cry, and then, instead of apologizing and taking responsibility, starts recommending treatments for what he or she calls "your depression" or "your mood swings," you are in the presence of a gaslighter.

Example 2: If someone insults you or criticizes you, and then pretends it was a joke and asks "Don't you have a sense of humor?", that's gaslighting.

Perception blaming is a common form of gaslighting, and a common technique for evading the consequences of one's actions. Example: "I'm sorry you perceived my words that way; it wasn't my intention." Translation: "You are perceptually defective. Everyone else in the world can read my mind; if you can't, there must be something wrong with you. Or so I'd like you to believe." Unspoken Message: "My intention should change your actions (even though it didn't change mine)." This presupposes the reasoning "Most people are judged for their actions; but *I* want to be judged for my unseen intentions." For more about this double standard, see Definition of Conceit. {Read this comp1ete article at http://jebrown.us/Relationshop/Defin...slighting.html .}

Etymology: Term is named after the film Gaslight (1944), in which the villain used the technique.
http://jebrown.us/Relationshop/Defin...slighting.html

Also, see wiki on the subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

Mags (poly, F, 61) loving miss pixi (poly, F, 39) since January 2009, living together since 2013
"Master," (mono, 34), miss pixi's Dom for 3 years

Last edited by Magdlyn; 09-20-2011 at 01:45 PM.