View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 03:05 AM

If you can't afford therapy, you might find Al-Anon helpful. It isn't only for families of alcoholics but for anyone who has suffered from a loved one's abusive or compulsive behavior. I have a few friends who really get a lot out of going to the meetings, and one friend in particular whose family was not alcoholic but very abusive; they are groups of people who come together to share their stories and support each other. You don't have to speak at the meetings if you don't want to, and they are anonymous.

There is also an organization called Adult Survivors of Child Abuse, but I don't know anything about it.

Another option would be some sort of counseling that might be available through a church or community-based organization near you, which would probably be low-cost or maybe even free.

And yes, people can heal emotionally from this and have happiness and satisfaction in life. Remember, you survived, you're strong and can make it through to the other side, now you just need some self-compassion and support.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia

Click here for a Solo Poly view on hierarchical relationships
Click here to find out why the Polyamorous Misanthrope is feeling disgusted.

Last edited by nycindie; 09-12-2011 at 03:13 AM.