View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
You may want to read about the Na of China.
Very interesting people. I discovered them through a scholarly review on JStor of the book, A Society without Fathers or Husbands: The Na of China
er, no thanks. The review snippets you quoted suggest that their culture totally invalidates men who feel as I do.

I do not feel that my gender should prevent me having a parental relationship with the children who carry my genes: the idea that this privelege only extends to women stikes me as profundly androphobic, shades of the 'utopian' ideas Sarah Gearhart was writing in the 70s/80s, ideas that to me are profoundly distopian.

Quote:
... I think of the word "broody" as meaning moody, gloomy, sullen, etc., as in someone who's constantly brooding and occupied with dark thoughts. I didn't realize there was a second meaning to the word until your post prompted me to look it up. But then, I don't know anything about chickens!
It is quite common in the UK to refer to women who are suddenly facing 'the biological clock' and desperate to have children. Using the phrase 'broody men' is less common, but not unique to me.

Met a man on the tube [subway] the other day, five month baby in snuggle carrier. Said 'i'm so envious, i'm the original broody man' and he replied 'me too'. He does most of the childcare, as his wife is more career focussed.

I am curious, nycindie, as to why you think the contribution to childcare by men like him (and hopefully in future by me) is less important than matrilineal care? I see this as a reverse-sexist mistake by another culture, not as an idea to emulate.

There are two Rivers here now: which one is this?

see
quaker poly experiences and poly: a quaker perspective

I hope other British Quakers who are poly (or wonder if they are) will contact me here, thanks, Friends.

Last edited by trueRiver; 09-05-2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: typo