Polyamory.com Forum

Polyamory.com Forum (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fireplace (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Weight loss support (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8787)

KatTails 04-14-2011 11:45 PM

Weight loss support

I know I am not the only person on here who needs to lose a few pounds (ok - I have more than a few pounds to lose :o) so I thought this would be a great place for us to come together for help, support and encouragement.

Please feel free to share your goals, successes and set backs as well as offering support, encouragement and motivation.

I'll start:

I am 5 feet 8 1/2 inches tall and fluctuate between 260 and 270 pounds. Ideally I have 75-100 pounds to lose - but realistically, I'd be ecstatic if I could lose 25-30 pounds.

I am an emotional eater and use food, especially ice cream and chocolate, to self soothe and reward a bad day (which I've been having a lot of lately.) I am hoping to get on new medication for depression and anxiety (and maybe ADD) and I'm hoping that it will also help with my weight loss and over eating issues.

I don't normally exercise - but when I do, I like to walk, ride bikes and play Wii Just Dance and Wii Fit.

****My goal this week will be to walk 15 minutes a day or do 15 minutes a day on the Wii.****

I hope that you guys join me!!

:) Kat :)

LovingRadiance 04-15-2011 05:25 AM

YEAH! :)

Give it a day or two, you'll have some more people on here too!

I cleaned out the freezer today (8ft chest freezer).. PAIN IN THE ASS. But it did work out my arms.

I don't know yet what tomorrow's goal will be... But, I'll let ya know!
:)

SourGirl 04-15-2011 05:45 AM

I`m in !

I had a rough winter, with some physical injuries. I don`t like how soft and squishy I feel. I want to lose 20 lbs.

I don`t need to eat less, I need to eat more according to my doctor. I get busy, don`t eat enough, and I`m not eating nutrient-dense foods like I normally do. 'Stress' of injury and what-not, causes my body to hold on to reserves.

So I would like to get back to the food habits I know serve me best. :) Start running again, and if my knees can`t handle riding, and running, then I`ll ride and bike instead.

I like dancing, and do the Wii-fit stuff when its yucky weather.

KatTails 04-15-2011 12:43 PM

:D I walked for 20 minutes at school this morning! Daily goal accomplished - yea me!!! :D Now that I'm sitting here after walking - I can feel the muscles in my legs twitching - I think they are revolting against me since they're not used to the workout. :)

Note to self: bring an extra deodorant to work. :o I stood outside in the cool morning air to cool off so I'm good for today.

I also skipped my morning Venti Starbucks - so I saved 350 calories and 10 grams of fat. :)

Today's Goal: I'm planning on doing Wii Just Dance tonight with my daughter - I'm going to try to do it 20-30 min.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LovingRadiance (Post 76380)
I cleaned out the freezer today (8ft chest freezer).. PAIN IN THE ASS. But it did work out my arms.

That counts!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LovingRadiance (Post 76380)
I don't know yet what tomorrow's goal will be... But, I'll let ya know!
:)

Please do! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SourGirl (Post 76382)
I don`t need to eat less, I need to eat more according to my doctor. I get busy, don`t eat enough, and I`m not eating nutrient-dense foods like I normally do. 'Stress' of injury and what-not, causes my body to hold on to reserves.

So I would like to get back to the food habits I know serve me best. :) Start running again, and if my knees can`t handle riding, and running, then I`ll ride and bike instead.

I like dancing, and do the Wii-fit stuff when its yucky weather.

You can do it!!!

My food habits are horrible! I'm trying to be more conscious of what I eat - but then the emotional eating and my negative voice that says "I don't care if this is bad for me - I deserve it" kicks in and all good intentions are gone. I wish I had an off/on switch for those voices in my head.

opalescent 04-15-2011 09:00 PM

Throwing ring in too

I've not been happy with my fitness level and weight for a long time. So this online support thing might be very helpful.

I am 5'1 and weight about 230. Ideally I want to be around 130 to 150 pounds. However, if I think about losing that much, I give up. So I will try to be healthier in general and focus on losing a few pounds, over and over.

My goal for Monday is to make an appointment at my workplace gym. It's free and I'm totally embarrassed I haven't taken advantage of it.

SNeacail 04-15-2011 09:25 PM

I'm 5'3" and 240lb, the heaviest I have ever been. About 6 years ago, I was 236 and then managed to loose 60lbs and kept it off for about 2 1/2 yrs but it has been coming back ever since and now I'm back to where I started from :mad:

I have never been "thin", I was 150 almost all through high school and then dropped to 136 the summer after graduation (I was figure skating every day). Everything came back after I got engaged and then married and has been going up ever since - OK, it's all my husbands fault :p

Goals:
Lose 5+lbs a month (like last time)
Walk 4 days a week (get back upto 3 miles)
Create healthier eating habits for my whole family

LovingRadiance 04-15-2011 09:26 PM

Might I offer a suggestion or two?

I want to be supportive-I don't have any weight to lose NOW, but I am all squishy and need to rebuild muscle because of the years of being unable to use them.

But, having already lost 66+lbs, I know a few tricks that helped me.

The first was having people to be "accountable to" which we have here.
It's not about saying to each other "hey, you didn't meet the goal today". Our own minds do that plenty. BUT-then we get so disappointed in ourselves and our depression increases, it seems hopeless so we go sit on our butts and mope.

The goal is to stay positive with each other, encourage each other to be happy with ourselves for what we DO accomplish-because we tend to overlook the little accomplishments we make.

The second thing that changed my whole world was picking ONE dietary thing at a time to change.

It's so easy to list the many things we need to correct. But, we need to get one and stick with it for a month or so, make it a habit before we try to add a second.

The first thing I did was buy a nice waterbottle JUST FOR ME. No one else gets to use it. I committed to filling it at least twice a day with water and drinking it. (that is 40 oz of water).

First think each morning-I fill it with water (at the beginning I often used a water flavor packet too, cause the water was so dull).

So-my suggestion is, in addtion to agreeing to support each other here.... how about committing to drinking 40+ ounces of water a day?

LovingRadiance 04-15-2011 09:27 PM

FYI-I'm getting ready to head out, I'm taking the kids and we're going to go walk the coastal trails with Maca. There's a park at one end, let them play for a bit and walk back. ;)

AutumnalTone 04-15-2011 10:15 PM

The doctor recently gave us a stern warning that we needed to change what we were doing NOW. Many of our health issues are under control. Others have been highly variable--and she said we have to get those under control now or we were likely to have more serious issues in the near future.

I've made a few changes to my diet over the past several years at the urging of doctors. She ordered some radical changes. I think making the radical change is actually helping the process, as I'm forced to seriously spend time learning new ways of planning meals instead of just being able to slightly alter things here and there.

One of the things she was adamant about is that we have to drop weight. Instead of trying to figure out some fancy-schmancy diet the relies on generating ketosis or some other nonsense, I boiled things down to the basics.

Body weight relies on an energy balance. Calories in vs calories out. That's it. Whether those calories come from all marshmallows or meat, if I eat more calories than I burn in a day, I gain weight; if I burn more calories than I eat, I lose weight. Choosing what to eat, then, becomes all about proper nutrition and not about weight at all.

Lap band procedures are all about energy balance. The bands limit the size of the stomach so fewer calories are consumed. That's it. I found it amusing that one of the major problems with lap bands is that people eat too much food at one time and that causes problems. Ya know, I can eat smaller portions in the same fashion and yet not have any problems should I eat too much at a meal.

So there's really no need for a lap band. If you can eat small portions to avoid problems with the band, you can eat small portions without the band.

The remaining problem is to feel satisfied with the smaller portions. I've found that fiber and protein provide the feeling of fullness and satiation that keeps me from wanting to eat more "because I didn't get full." The fiber more so than the protein.

So, I use metamucil prior to a couple of meals each day to jumpstart the feeling of being sated. Then I make certain I get some protein for my tummy to work on and fill out the meal with fruit or veggies.

This has been working for me. I've lost over 25 pounds since the end of January without feeling like I'm neglecting myself. It's been enjoyable, even.

Ariakas 04-15-2011 10:30 PM

I can join in the fun. I have about 20 pounds I want to cut down. From 270 to 250. Any smaller and I look too "off"...

I have lost 14 pounds since I stopped drinking down to my current of 270. I walk daily, I don't eat amazingly well, but I get my veggies and stuff.

Biking season is starting and its going to be time for me to be throwing myself down cliff faces soon, so I need to get to my sporting weight so when I land I don't break in two