Polyamory.com Forum

Polyamory.com Forum (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/index.php)
-   Press and media coverage (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Polyamory on Bones (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8178)

Somegeezer 03-26-2011 02:30 AM

Polyamory on Bones

Or more precisely, polygyny?

I'm sure it is probably an old episode to those who watch the show regularly, but I just saw it earlier today. One part REALLY annoyed me. Right near to the end. Agent Booth said something along the lines of "you always love one person the most."

I had this terrible feeling in my stomach, like I really had to shout at the TV. I probably would have if my mother wasn't watching it with me. She knows not of my poly ways, as of yet [if ever].

Also, not really related to Bones, but certainly to TV as a whole. Since the whole Charlie Sheen stuff, there seems to be a lot more on polyamory about. Even though half of it is people who call themselves comedians taking the piss out of polyamory, just because he enjoys having sex with 2 different women at the moment. [I've never liked that sex and love have to always be linked directly either.]

Rant over I suppose. I try not to do it too often. =P

brainfreezy 03-26-2011 05:53 PM

Wife watches that show a lot. I saw that episode about a month ago and the whole time was thinking "please don't be the wives, please don't be the wives"... I did like the bickering and jealousy issues, as I would think that's a normal part of the life. From Booth's limited point of view, that makes them possible suspects, but from Bones' point of view, its all just normal and fascinating (as usual).

I was a little disappointed when he said the part about loving one more, because a lot of the episode was Booth coming to grips with what seemed weird to him at first - it almost seemed to put it in a "this isn't common, but still perfectly acceptable" light, and then they kept dropping the ball on it. I'm guessing they were pandering to mass audiences with the jibes. It's like watching CSI and thinking they can do half of what they do on the show in real life. It'd be nice if there was a disclaimer to keep the dimmer bulbs out there from reinforcing bad stereotypes.

Somegeezer 03-26-2011 07:21 PM

I do love that Bones gets this fascination with everything. But even when he said that line, she seemed to agree with what he said. I mean it's cool if Booth had have said HE feels he could only ever love one person the most. But he made it such a general statement, as if nobody could love a whole group of people a great amount.

Plaipdind 06-25-2011 06:36 PM

Polyamory on Bones

how come the grave digger can easily kidnap booth,like when kidnap Bones and hodgins , well but still interesting

Casey 10-02-2011 06:52 AM

I did however see an episode of The Mentalist (?) that had a poly couple in it. Wife was dying, husband and boyfriend both could have done it. Polyamoury was touched on, discussed in brief, and then moved on. It wasn't relevant to the case.
I liked how the writers hadn't made the people participating in the unusual arrangement the "baddies", which is what I was expecting.

nycindie 10-03-2011 04:05 AM

There's a separate thread about that episode of The Mentalist. Just do a search.