Polyamory.com Forum

Polyamory.com Forum (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/index.php)
-   Poly Relationships Corner (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How long does NRE last? (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69297)

happytovee 03-13-2014 09:10 AM

How long does NRE last?

Just wondering what time frame NRE commonly lasts. At what point is it just good chemistry in its own right? Our poly-fi vee is six months old but we're long distance, flying to visit once a month for four days. Does the LD part extend NRE?

graviton 03-13-2014 10:11 AM

long distance definitely prolongs nre. Normally NRE can last up to a year. I imagine long distance could double that depending on frequency or length of visits.

Magdlyn 03-13-2014 12:51 PM

Yes, long distance definitely prolongs NRE. Heck, I was just away from my 2 sweeties for 10 days of vacation, and we had intense reunions.

Normally if you are seeing your new SO regularly, weekly or more often, NRE can last 3 months to 2 years. 6-18 months being average.

Dagferi 03-13-2014 07:48 PM

I think ld allows a relationship to hold more of the fantasy aspect. You don't see your partner at their worst. You don't see them sick with the flu. Under stress from work. You are not facing the drama and grind of daily life together. When you see each other it is special and not just Tuesday.

I am year 2 of my vee. Things now have slid into routine and daily life. I am still head over heels for both my husbands but we are beyond NRE.. We just have excellent chemistry.

nycindie 03-14-2014 12:53 AM

Could be anywhere from a few months to 2 years, depending on circumstances and personalities.

PolyinPractice 03-14-2014 06:29 AM

If NRE is real, I've been feeling it for three years now......

AlwaysGrowing 03-14-2014 06:30 AM

I usually snap out of it somewhere between 3 and 6 months in. That's seeing each other 1-3 times a week.

gorgeouskitten 06-04-2014 05:14 PM

resurrecting this from a couple months ago cause its relevant for me right now. With my relationship dilemmas a lot of people tell me I am so into Nudge because hes "new and shiny".
We've been together over a year, see each other every day at work, two to three times a week at night, spend time with my kids...we joke that our time together just feels "domestic" sometimes. To me, that's not NRE...its just love and great chemistry. Thoughts?

Magdlyn 06-04-2014 11:28 PM

Gorgeous, I feel the same way. I've been with miss pixi over 5 years and Ginger over 2 years, and while the new and shiny bit has worn off, we still have great chemistry, great sex, laughs, shared hobbies, satisfying conversations, etc etc. I still love the heck out of them.

Whereas I know with my ex h, after 2 years we had some issues we weren't equipped to address and it led to a certain distancing and lack of connection (even though we stayed together over 30 years).

YouAreHere 06-05-2014 02:16 AM

In the beginning of my relationship with Chops, I would definitely say we were both heavily impacted by NRE. I would get up early to Skype with him (I'm *sooo* not a 5am person!), I'd check my phone as often as I could to see if he texted me, I'd get all twitterpated to the point where I couldn't eat half the time.

Now, I'm putting weight back on again. :D
(Which is mainly because I'm not getting my ass out to exercise, but I'm definitely past the point of "not eating")

I love sending/receiving texts during the day, but I'm not hanging on them, and neither is he. And we don't wake up at 5 unless we have to... usually not even for sex. ;)

BUT... I still adore the man. We still write each other beautiful emails and notes once in a while. We still snuggle up on the couch and talk more than we sit and watch TV. We cook together. We do yard work or work on the house together. It's WONDERFUL. And it seems to be NRE-free, which is even better.

So no, a good relationship doesn't mean it's all NRE. Enjoy the chemistry. :)