Polyamory.com Forum

Polyamory.com Forum (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poly Discussions (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Myers Briggs and polyamory. (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=689)

redsirenn 08-27-2009 10:47 PM

Myers Briggs and polyamory.

Do you think people that practice polyamorous lifestyles successfully (i.e. within the "definition" of the full-consent, etc. and to the benefit of the relationship as a whole) Have common personality traits? Do you think some personality traits can handle this type of relationship better than others?

I am an INFP.... Which makes me fairly sensitive, I think.

MonoVCPHG 08-27-2009 10:59 PM

I don't know much about Myers Briggs but I definitely think that it takes certain personalities to relate and function effectively in poly relationships.

I know plenty of guys I won't broach the topic with just because of thier macho homophobic personalities. I mention homophobic because although I am not bi-sexual, to many guys I know sleeping with Redpepper who in turn sleeps with other men is equivalent to a homosexual act. Stupid I know, but the case none the less.

These are the same guys that would probably have no problem having casual sex with lots of women and don't see an issue with that....ironic.

NeonKaos 08-27-2009 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG (Post 5670)
I know plenty of guys I won't broach the topic with just because of thier macho homophobic personalities. I mention homophobic because although I am not bi-sexual, to many guys I know sleeping with Redpepper who in turn sleeps with other men is equivalent to a homosexual act. Stupid I know, but the case none the less.

I realize this is going a bit OT, but I would wager that those guys prob'ly ARE homo- or bi-sexual and are in denial/self-loathing over it.

MonoVCPHG 08-27-2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YGirl (Post 5673)
I realize this is going a bit OT, but I would wager that those guys prob'ly ARE homo- or bi-sexual and are in denial/self-loathing over it.

I agree in many cases.

MonoVCPHG 08-27-2009 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG (Post 5670)

I don't like to quote myself but as a side note..this is a huge "external" factor that I believe holds some straight guys back from exploring poly.

The judgement of others is only overcome by truly feeling that something is right for you and having enough love to support that position internally.

AutumnalTone 08-28-2009 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redsirenn (Post 5668)
I am an INFP.... Which makes me fairly sensitive, I think.

I usually end up ENTP when testing. One place was set up to provide an "X" rating for balanced traits, and I ended up XNTP, with the N & T each a point away from being Xes. The only strong rating was the P.

aussielover 08-28-2009 01:31 AM

Mine was INFJ Granted from a Facebook quiz but I think it's fairly accurate of me.
this is what it said.

You seek meaning and connection in ideas, relationships, and material possessions. You want to understand what motivates people and are insightful about others. You are conscientious and committed to your firm values. You develop a clear vision about how best to serve the common good. You are organized and decisive in implementing your vision.

Sunshinegrl 08-28-2009 04:59 AM

Ditto mine was on Fb too...

I got ENFP and itr was pretty close too.

Quote:

You are warmly enthusiastic and imaginative. You see life as full of possibilities. You make connections between events and information very quickly, and confidently proceed based on the patterns you see. You want a lot of affirmation from others, and readily give appreciation and support. You are spontaneous and flexible, and often rely on your ability to improvise and verbal fluency.

NeonKaos 08-28-2009 01:39 PM

I took the quiz twice. The first time I got INFP, the second time I got ISTJ.

Is there such a thing as a WTFF?

XYZ123 08-28-2009 02:27 PM

I'm ENFP. I don't know if that means anything as far as being poly.