Polyamory.com Forum

Polyamory.com Forum (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Open Heart (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68806)

rou 02-08-2014 03:36 AM

Open Heart

Heya! I'm Mia, but you can call me Rou. I'm a young, artistic woman who loves to read and write, among other things. As of this introduction, I'm not in any relationship at all, mono or poly, and I have minimal experience with poly to begin with, besides my own thoughts and philosophies.

When I was in high school, I was in a committed relationship, and I felt very skittish and uncertain. I acknowledged both that I was a very jealous and insecure person, but that I felt as though I couldn't understand the concept of loving only one person. I've never had great impulse control when it comes to romance (granted, I was and am very young) and so instead of dreading my boyfriend's wanderings, I dreaded my own. I feared meeting people that were attractive to me in ways that my boyfriend was not, and began to avoid friends and acquaintances I found attractive, all while muttering to myself, "There has to be some other way. Why doesn't this feel right?"

With a little bit of google, such was my introduction to polyamory, but it didn't seem very viable at the time. Now that I'm a little older and a little more comfortable, I'm ready to explore and learn about a different lifestyle than the mono-only one I've grown up in. I'm glad to have a (very) small handful of wonderful, polyamorous friends, but I can't suck up all of their time asking them questions and philosophizing on love and the like. So I found polyamory.com. (:

I look forward to spending some time here, and getting to know all of you. Ask me anything you'd like!

Mia

civfan 02-08-2014 05:20 AM

Welcome! Feel free to IM me if you'd like about anything, have you been to the site morethantwo.com yet?

rou 02-08-2014 05:26 AM

I have been to morethantwo. I really like it, actually, but it's been a little bit boring, not having much discussion or seeing a sort of dialogue from the 'lay people', so to speak. Thank you for the welcome! (:

civfan 02-08-2014 05:32 AM

Would you mind sharing what you like to write about?

rou 02-08-2014 05:39 AM

I'm an aspiring novelist. Mostly fantasy of different sorts, and my stories usually incorporate romance, but I don't necessarily write in the romance genre. I'm actually very interested in finding ways to include polyamory in my stories, but having no experience and knowing so little about it as it is, I wouldn't really understand how to go about doing that without utterly butchering the story in the process.

I also write a little bit of poetry, when the mood strikes.

civfan 02-08-2014 05:41 AM

If you'd like to hear about my poly experience and use it as an idea for writing please feel free to IM me about it...its really really good and complex!

kdt26417 02-10-2014 01:31 AM

Greetings rou,
Welcome to our forum. Please feel free to lurk, browse, etc.

A few boards you might like are:
Also we welcome any questions you'd like to ask. I'm usually pretty good about reading up on the intro board so whatever you post on this thread, I'll take notice of it.

There's a book you might enjoy too, it's called "Sex at Dawn: how we mate, why we stray, and what it means for modern relationships," by Christopher Ryan and Cacilda Jethá.

Hope that helps for starters!
Sincerely,
Kevin T., "official greeter" :)

Notes:

There's a *lot* of good info in Golden Nuggets. Have a look!

Please read through the guidelines if you haven't already.

Note: You needn't read every reply to your posts, especially if someone posts in a disagreeable way. Given the size and scope of the site it's hard not to run into the occasional disagreeable person. Please contact the mods if you do (or if you see any spam), and you can block the person if you want.

If you have any questions about the board itself, please private-message a mod and they'll do their best to help.

Welcome aboard!