Polyamory.com Forum

Polyamory.com Forum (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fireplace (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   What ever happened to "Gals"?~ (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64870)

ColorsWolf 11-25-2013 06:26 AM

What ever happened to "Gals"?~

What ever happened to "Gals"?~

"Girls" having its' origins in meaning a "young, usually immature, unripe, naive, female" usually most commonly in referrence to children has been popular throughout the pre-50's, 50's, and beyond as a form of sexual discrimination and as a self-identity as a "female who is free from marriage or very spontaneous or youthful".~

"Women" as the opposite of "Girls" has been associated with "maturity, knowledge, wise, grown, ripe" but it also has been associated with "old or almost dead, old-fashioned, no fun" especially in today's generation.~

My question is: "Guys" is often used as a catch-all phrase for all "males" regardless of age or nature, what ever happened to the usage of its' "female" equivalent "Gals"?~

london 11-25-2013 07:12 AM

People wanted to stop referring to grown women as children. Guys isn't a variant of boys like gals is q varient of girls.

YouAreHere 11-25-2013 02:47 PM

In New England, "guys" also tends to be a catch-all type of phrase, somewhat similar to the South's "y'all". But I digress.

How about "ladies"? I tend to use that one.

london 11-25-2013 03:32 PM

Lady is a loaded word though. Women is PC.

YouAreHere 11-25-2013 03:53 PM

And the funny thing is, it's mostly colloquialisms anyway. My female friends and I use "ladies" among ourselves (some use "gals" or call each other "doll" or "chick" once in a while). There's an email thread among us with the subject of "Girls' Night Out" right now.

So... I don't know. The words we use change depending on what location we're in, what generation we're from, what group of people we're in, etc. "Gals" sounds funny to me, personally, so that's why *I* won't use it. I'd rather just go with the flow and use the words people are comfortable with, since they aren't personally important enough to me (in this case) for me to weigh in heavily either way.

Ariakas 11-25-2013 11:40 PM

Gal isn't a word in my vocabulary. I have never heard anyone called "gal".. might be southern thing or something. In fact, I have only ever read the word, I don't think I have ever heard it verbalized..

"Guys" doesn't feel like it relates to gals. If we had a wordsmith in the group, I think it might be more regional.

My female friends call themselves chicks, girls, women.. people.. label doesn't mean much to them..

Magdlyn 11-25-2013 11:47 PM

I refer to myself as a slut and my girlfriend, oops, female partner, refers to herself as a whore. Problem solved!

I like the old tune from South Pacific, There Ain't Nothing Like a Dame.

Cupcake, bimbo, doll, lady, gal, chick, ho, skirt, gal, whatever, CW! Language evolves.

kdt26417 11-26-2013 08:53 AM

Here's the official list of synonyms from Wikisaurus:
  • babe
  • bint (UK)
  • bird [WS] (UK)
  • broad (US)
  • chica
  • chick
  • dame (US)
  • female [WS]
  • gal
  • girl [WS]
  • goddess
  • hen
  • ho (US, offensive)
  • lady
  • sheila (Australia)
  • skirt (US)
  • twist (US, offensive)
  • woman
  • womyn
  • wimmin
Lots to choose from! Just pick what calls to you is what I say and run with it. (I myself like to mix it up depending on the context.)

Ariakas 11-26-2013 12:24 PM

I lived in an area with LOTS of aussies for about 12 years. Sheila or sheela is very common.. and still makes me chuckle when I hear it.

ColorsWolf 11-26-2013 07:59 PM

Sorry, but I like to use properly paired words as they were meant to when they were first formed.~

I will use the word "girls" only if I also use the word "boys".

I will not use the word "guys" unless I also use its' proper equivalent opposite "gals".~

"Ladies" and "Gentlemen".~

"Men" and "Women".~

"Dude" and "Dudette".~

"Goddess" and "God".~

"Sir" and "Ma'am".~

"Mister" and "Miss".~

"Master" and "Mistress".~

etc.

Using improper words that are not paired together as if they were paired together is confusing to me.~