Polyamory.com Forum

Polyamory.com Forum (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poly Discussions (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What is love? (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=559)

redsirenn 08-01-2009 01:00 AM

What is love?

Ok. I have just admitted to myself that I am not being productive today. Got to pack for a trip and so I am dawdling (since I hate packing).

Anyhow,
I have a question that I think about frequently:

How would you describe romantic love? How is it different than deep friendship, if at all?

MonoVCPHG 08-01-2009 01:38 AM

For me the difference is in physical intimacy...sex. For me, there is an astronimical difference between romantic love and a deep friendship...massive.

aussielover 08-01-2009 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redsirenn (Post 3643)
How would you describe romantic love? How is it different than deep friendship, if at all?

Romantic love gives you those wonderful butterflies in your stomach...constant giggles, goo goo eyes, all that corny wonderful stuff... makes goodbyes physically painfull...

Deep friendship gives you a wonderful connection, a platonic love, but doesn't give you the physical reation romantic love does.

lol ok, that sounds kinda lame, but its true

MonoVCPHG 08-01-2009 02:56 AM

Great job Aussie Lover.:)

aussielover 08-01-2009 02:58 AM

Thanks Mono!! :D

vandalin 08-01-2009 02:58 AM

Actually AL, that sounds about right... except that after the NRE wears off of the romantic love, the butterflies, giggles and corny stuff kinda gets a little less until it basically becomes the same feelings as a deep friendship...imho.

This is actually one of the questions that I have asked "Elric" to help me understand what happened between us, his definition of romantic love and what it entails.

MonoVCPHG 08-01-2009 03:03 AM

Love is different for everyone. It never feels like a deep friendship for me. If it does, I'm in trouble. Deep friendship is a step for me.

aussielover 08-01-2009 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vandalin (Post 3663)
Actually AL, that sounds about right... except that after the NRE wears off of the romantic love, the butterflies, giggles and corny stuff kinda gets a little less until it basically becomes the same feelings as a deep friendship...imho.

Agreed, but in friendship, you don't have the lust and desire for the other person. Even after NRE wears off, that usually stays to one degree or another.

vandalin 08-01-2009 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussielover (Post 3666)
Agreed, but in friendship, you don't have the lust and desire for the other person. Even after NRE wears off, that usually stays to one degree or another.

Got a point there. :)

Sunshinegrl 08-01-2009 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussielover (Post 3654)
Romantic love gives you those wonderful butterflies in your stomach...constant giggles, goo goo eyes, all that corny wonderful stuff... makes goodbyes physically painfull...

Deep friendship gives you a wonderful connection, a platonic love, but doesn't give you the physical reation romantic love does.

lol ok, that sounds kinda lame, but its true

and Makes Hello's amazing.