Polyamory.com Forum

Polyamory.com Forum (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poly Discussions (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What do you call people who dislike, hate, or are afraid of the polyamorous? (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42991)

DemeterBlessings 03-18-2013 08:18 PM

What do you call people who dislike, hate, or are afraid of the polyamorous?

I'm coming across a lot of ignorance which doesn't surprise me, but I need to post something about this and need a word that parallels homophobia. But the words "poly-phobia" and "poly-racist" have other meanings that have nothing to do with polyamory, and looking up polyamory-phobic just brings up comments about people who are polyamorous that are assumed to be commitment-phobic. There isn't a word listed in the vocab section of polyamorysociety.org either. Has anyone come across a word for this?:confused: Thanks!

BoringGuy 03-18-2013 09:07 PM

If you find the word you're looking for, what are your expectations? Will you present the word to these people whom you say reject non-monogamy, and they will say to themselves, "wow it all makes sense now. My attitude is prejudiced and circumscribed. I should change because the way it is now, i am just like a person who is racist or homophobic, and those two attitudes are wrong. I don't want to be wrong, therefore i will accept polyamory the same way i accept gay people."

Is that what you think this new vocabulary word will accomplish?

GalaGirl 03-18-2013 09:34 PM

Is this for a paper or something you are writing? The only thing I can think of is "uncomfortable with polyamory."

Such as "People who are uncomfortable with polyamory" perhaps? Could that work in your thing? At least as a place holder til you get the rest of of it done?

GL!
Galagirl

LovingRadiance 03-18-2013 10:03 PM

In my experience changing people's attitudes requires finesse, not attack.
There isn't a term.
How I deal with the fearful is to describe my real life and let them see how our family interacts.
So far-no negative outcome from that approach. Even the religious who "dont approve" acknowledge that we are making it work.

ThatGirlInGray 03-18-2013 10:07 PM

I know lots of people who are uncomfortable with polyamory, but I wouldn't say they hate it. I wonder if "prejudiced against polyamory" would be more appropriate. "Prejudiced" speaks more towards an unreasonable and close-minded dislike, hate, or fear.

Tonberry 03-19-2013 08:50 AM

Mononormative?
I've actually seen "polyphobic" a lot. Didn't realise it had another meaning.

I don't think we need a word for any kind of discrimination or prejudice. We can just tell someone they're prejudiced or bigoted.

Malfunktions 03-19-2013 03:51 PM

Haters be hatin'!

I have heard the term "mono-strict".

I would use tat one I think...

Helo 03-20-2013 04:26 AM

Having a term for these people requires giving a fuck about them enough to come up with one.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-w7WBItj9rg...onna_hate3.jpg

SchrodingersCat 03-20-2013 05:07 AM

I agree with "prejudiced against polyamory." It emphasizes prejudice, i.e. making a total judgement against someone based on one specific feature, rather than considering their entire personhood.

If you really need a specific word (can't imagine why), I propose "amorist." Racist, sexist, ageist... At first, I was thinking "polyist" but then I realized none of those "ists" suggest being against a specific race, sex, or age group - only against "other" race, sex, or age groups.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonberry (Post 191605)
Mononormative?
I've actually seen "polyphobic" a lot. Didn't realise it had another meaning.

I don't think we need a word for any kind of discrimination or prejudice. We can just tell someone they're prejudiced or bigoted.

Hmm.. except "heteronormative" just means you fit succinctly in the heterosexual box. It doesn't imply that you have anything against homosexuality. So by analogy, mononormative just means you're naturally inclined towards monogamy, not that you necessarily have anything against polyamory.

nycindie 03-20-2013 08:25 AM

Anti-polyamory?