Polyamory.com Forum

Polyamory.com Forum (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poly Discussions (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I did it! (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4138)

TruckerPete 11-05-2010 01:42 PM

I did it!

Mr. A is a commercial pilot, just starting his career.

This weekend, we're going flying together, in a little four seat Cessna for the first time. <insert obvious joke here>

At any rate, I was chatting with my officemate just now and asked if he had any plans for the weekend. He said not really and asked about mine.

Perfect opportunity!

I told him I was excited because my boyfriend was taking me flying this weekend. I always refer to Indigo by name, so coworker said, "Oh I didn't realize he had his license."

I replied that yes, he's a pilot. Coworker started, "Wait ... " and I interjected with "Oh. My boyfriend. Indigo and I don't believe in monogamy."

Coworker responded with, "Oh. Okay. Well that'll be pretty cool!" And the conversation continued on.

My hands are shaking. I am relieved to be myself.

Ariakas 11-05-2010 03:22 PM

Wohoo, congrats on being out so casually. I find that method usually works best for me too.

Congrats on the flight and the...ummm...fun times.

Quote:

"Oh. My boyfriend. Indigo and I don't believe in monogamy."
I would normally mock a statement like this but feel in your time of joy, it wouldn't be in good humour...:p

TruckerPete 11-05-2010 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ariakas (Post 51499)
I would normally mock a statement like this but feel in your time of joy, it wouldn't be in good humour...:p

Okay, the full version of that would be, "We don't believe in monogamy as a viable long-term relationship dynamic for our particular situation."

Better now, Mr. Picky McPickerson? :D

(Though point taken, ftr.)

Ariakas 11-05-2010 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruckerPete (Post 51501)
Okay, the full version of that would be, "We don't believe in monogamy as a viable long-term relationship dynamic for our particular situation."

Better now, Mr. Picky McPickerson? :D

(Though point taken, ftr.)

:cool: I am good now :p Go back an enjoy the seating in the plane now.

polytriad 11-05-2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruckerPete (Post 51483)
Mr. A is a commercial pilot, just starting his career.

This weekend, we're going flying together, in a little four seat Cessna for the first time. <insert obvious joke here>

At any rate, I was chatting with my officemate just now and asked if he had any plans for the weekend. He said not really and asked about mine.

Perfect opportunity!

I told him I was excited because my boyfriend was taking me flying this weekend. I always refer to Indigo by name, so coworker said, "Oh I didn't realize he had his license."

I replied that yes, he's a pilot. Coworker started, "Wait ... " and I interjected with "Oh. My boyfriend. Indigo and I don't believe in monogamy."

Coworker responded with, "Oh. Okay. Well that'll be pretty cool!" And the conversation continued on.

My hands are shaking. I am relieved to be myself.

Awesomeness! I find myself doing the same thing at work....blah blah blah my girlfriend...something something

"wait...aren't you married?"

Wifey...(I refer to my wife as wifey at work) and I are polyamorious!

What is that?

We have a girlfriend together...

and on from there. There are a few people that I'm somewhat selective about it around people that are more rigid

redpepper 11-05-2010 07:47 PM

good for you TP! well done.... :)

vodkafan 11-06-2010 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polytriad (Post 51503)

Wifey...(I refer to my wife as wifey at work) and I are polyamorious!

Err :eek: That's terrible calling your wife "wifey". Don't you know that is a derogatory term? Seriously. You can google it. :mad:

vodkafan 11-06-2010 08:28 AM

Well Done TruckerPete:D We are NOWHERE near that stage yet.

ImaginaryIllusion 11-06-2010 05:38 PM

Rock on TP. :)

I've been testing reactions occasionally on complete strangers....especially in other towns where I'm extremely unlikely to run into the same people again. A couple weeks ago I was chatting with a woman about something...I don't remember exactly what. I mentioned something about having to get something for my girlfriend and then meet my wife somewhere.
I think she was halfway through answering my question when she suddenly paused and asked me, "Did I just hear you mention your wife and your girlfriend in the same sentence?"
"You caught that did you?!" :cool:

The rest of the conversation carried on relatively unimpeded. But the look on her face was rather amusing.

TruckerPete 11-06-2010 06:13 PM

Someone asked me later in the day what I was doing on the weekend and I said the same thing, but she either didn't catch on, or didn't want to ask ...

I like hearing about others' experiences! :)