Polyamory.com Forum

Polyamory.com Forum (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poly Discussions (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is Poly The New Gay? (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3791)

River 09-24-2010 05:46 PM

Is Poly The New Gay?

... as in, are poly folk the new super-marginalized evil-dirty people?

PollyPocket 09-24-2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by River (Post 45727)
... as in, are poly folk the new super-marginalized evil-dirty people?

I have been pleasantly surprised in the few friends that I have told in that they are SOOOO supportive and are ONLY worried that I NOT get hurt.

Even my BFF who is pretty traditional, has come around and said to me yesterday, "You are less and less appealing with the MORE control measures that you put in place". At first, she said, "You will get hurt, get out now." Now she is saying, "if you want it to work, let go". WTF?

Words to live by I know.....
P2

Ariakas 09-24-2010 05:53 PM

Probably...:)

Morningglory629 09-24-2010 07:28 PM

Not so sure about marginalized, maybe not properly defined

Ooooooo...dirty...that sounds sexy! If that is what you mean then "hells yeah!" :p
If by dirty you mean castaway-like, then no.
Marginalized...only in the sense that most people are not self-aware, let alone aware of what a relationship takes. Yes there really are mono people and poly people- two very different mind-sets. I honestly think the term polyamory is not used enough in common language, and the media has only really scratched the surface. I was not aware of the label until 2009! I would say that a majority of people are either single because they cannot commit to one, or 50% plus marriages break up because one or both parties are not aware of their own dissatisfaction with monogamy. This is my opinion, but I think non-monogamy/poly is alot more common than successful monogamy.

redpepper 09-24-2010 07:32 PM

Are you referring to the front page of the Vancouver sun Ari?!

I heard that the up coming court case is already getting some major press. End of November the poly advocacy group will be going to court to try and over turn the antipolygamy law that includes polyamory. The vancouver sun asked if this is the new gay because of the fight for the right to marry by same sex couples. Their struggle is over, marriage for all! Could it be polyamory for all?!

Ariakas 09-24-2010 07:53 PM

Actually I just meant "probably"...

In our world, our gov't doesn't like it but overall I see a lot of acceptance in the Vancouver area. While not perfect it is ok.

But outside of the area I can see people being against it. Gay rights attacked the gender norm, but poly is attacking the religious norm. Thats going to be a tough fight and one with lots of backlash.

So "probably"...yes, poly is likely the new "gay"

haven't seen the van sun cover yet, was that todays?

Found the article :)

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Pol...029/story.html

redpepper 09-24-2010 08:04 PM

No, few days ago.

RGee91 09-24-2010 08:30 PM

Ummm not really, but to some, maybe. I mean the most response I get from ppl who know I'm poly is "I couldn't do it, but if it works for you..." and that's that... but it seems EVERYone has an opinion on being gay, most of the negative opinions originate in church (of course)... but maybe when gays become more "acceptable" then (of course) the church will be FORCED to find another group to irrationally hate. They've already been through black people, interracial couples and gays, why not poly people next?

TruckerPete 09-24-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazeGeneration (Post 45765)
Ummm not really, but to some, maybe. I mean the most response I get from ppl who know I'm poly is "I couldn't do it, but if it works for you..." and that's that... but it seems EVERYone has an opinion on being gay, most of the negative opinions originate in church (of course)... but maybe when gays become more "acceptable" then (of course) the church will be FORCED to find another group to irrationally hate. They've already been through black people, interracial couples and gays, why not poly people next?

That is pretty much what I've gotten ... I think that many people don't actually know that poly exists and can work (with the exception of polygamy, which mainly receives negative attention).

Media and society almost seem to "preshape" people's opinions of homosexuality, but with so little awareness, I feel like poly doesn't yet have a collective opinion. And so, people default to generic good/bad statements.

MsKtty89 09-24-2010 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruckerPete
That is pretty much what I've gotten ... I think that many people don't actually know that poly exists and can work (with the exception of polygamy, which mainly receives negative attention).

I agree, I didn't even know this was "common," in that there are more people out there than a select few, including myself, that had these sorts of feelings and practiced upon them, nor that there were different terms and structures... Until AFTER talking to my husband about how we feel and then searching for a forum for support. And I even used an inaccurate term to describe us (polygamy) when I first got here. :D