Polyamory.com Forum

Polyamory.com Forum (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/index.php)
-   Life stories and blogs (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Polly Roller Coaster (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3554)

PollyPocket 08-24-2010 11:05 PM

The Polly Roller Coaster

Hi all...I am new to the Polly lifestyle and to this forum. Thank you for letting me chime in.
Our adventure started about 6 months ago when a friend introduced another girl friend to us while we were at a pub. Her and I (the wife) hit it off famously, and soon we were going for runs and bike rides, lunches and walks together. She, "C", was experienced at differing forms of relationships and had been with both men and women and a combination before. I had never been with a women and have been married to the same guy with no affairs for 23 years.
One day our discussion progressed to the 'what-ifs'. What if we were to try a threesome. She said No, that she would never want to jeapordize our friendship. At this point, it was about 3 months old.
Then she had a dinner party one night with 20 guests. We stayed later and helped clean up and as we moved into the kitchen for a threesome group hug, she turned to me and kissed me. It was perhaps the hottest most sensual kiss I had ever felt (or at, could remember back to my early 20s). She moved to the other room and I followed her, and she kissed me again. All 3 of us began shaggin on the couch and then moved up to the bedroom for an unbelievable sexual experience that I will never forget. She was so IN TO me it was crazy.
We continued crazy sex for the next few weeks, seemingly she was still very into me and my hubby felt a bit left out, so he asked her out for coffee and he told her about his feelings of being left out. That seemed to trip something and then she started to pay more attention to him. More and more and more and now they are 'officially in love'. Me? Well I am 'in love/lust' with her, but she says that she can never love a woman like she loves a man. She loves me as a best friend. I am trying to wrap my head around that and be cool with their displays of intimacy that I would dearly love. Our 'sexual relationship' has been going on just over 2 months, and there have been soooo many ultra awesome times - happy happy times, but the downs have been there too. My feelings of rejection and coming to terms with accepting their love.
They have both reassured me repeatedly that their relationship is just for fun, that it is NOT going anywhere. He is not going to run off, and that he loves me to death...more than ever.
It came to a near death yesterday when I just didn't handle things well, and my hubby decided he would take the bull by the horns and break it off. So he did. They met and broke up. Then she came to our house to see me and return some things and said that we couldn't be friends either. I died a bit inside. I began trying to see if I could fix things. Maybe with enough open communication we could work it out.
My hubby got home from work and the 3 of us talked and talked and got everything out in the open. My feelings of rejection, our various forms of love, their need for more intimacy.
Right now, we are in chill mode. All of our worlds were rocked yesterday. I feel like I am being held hostage by a friendship that I can't bear to lose. Does anyone have any words of wisdom to offer? I am all ears....

redpepper 08-25-2010 02:22 AM

There are a lot of people who have experienced this similar thing. It seems very common that a unicorn exists for a short time when the passion is high; the NRE is going on... and then a change occurs and either the unicorn ends up favouring one over the other or wants another partner or moves on entirely.

It is hard I'm sure. It is possible to sustain this type of relationship if there is a mass of open honest communication and a lot of process. If that feeling you have doesn't go away for either of you then maybe you should approach her again and see if she wants to negotiate some boundaries now that the NRE of your relationship is over and a "settling into it" is starting to occur. Relationships change and grow, its a matter of whether or not you want to change and grow with them and can stomach the jealousy and other uncomfortablnesses to allow that change to become something that works for you all.

Take a look on this forum by doing a search for tag (such as "unicorn" and "NRE" :D) or for similar threads. There is a lot of support just by reading similar stories sometimes and perhaps that will help. you are not alone...

sage 08-25-2010 07:33 AM

Hi

I'm interested in your description of being "held hostage" because of a friendship you can't live without. It's interesting because that is how monos often feel when their partner comes out as poly - held hostage because of their love for their partner, or their desire to keep their relationship intact.

To make poly work you have to get past that feeling and see yourself as doing something because of deep love for another person, or in your case for two people.

I can see how it would be impossible for her to go back to being your "friend". It's hard, but you say you're in love with her, so you only have two choices. Love her enough to let her go, or love her enough to share your husband with her.

The second option is possible I'm sure but you, your husband and C need to learn about polyamory and realize that coming to terms with it can be a painful process. You will all need to support each other.

It's taken me two years to come to terms with my partner's long distance SO. Now we are looking at adding a unicorn to our relationship, in much the way you have, except she was not my friend to begin with. I'm sure I'll have a whole new learning curve to explore. Good luck with yours, don't be afraid to post here and ask questions, it has been a great source of support for me.

PollyPocket 08-25-2010 02:02 PM

Thank you both for your insights. Sage, you offer some 'sage advice' in the loving her enough to let her go idea.

I have toyed around with the notions of love a lot, trying to figure out if those 'strong attachments' that I was feeling was 'in love', lust, love, newness or whatever. I guess that is what everyone here refers to NRE, when you can't really put a word on it.

When this all started, I remember thinking and citing, 'the more freedom you give, the more you get'. And believing that. The same can be said of love I suppose. It was such a different spin when she was the one into me, and my hubby felt left out. Now, that the wheels have turned and she is more into him, I find myself booking counseling appointments and reading up on jealousy and rejection. Basically trying to force this relationship to work by dealing! My logical side is fine with it all but the gut feeling comes in waves and is so strong.

Are there any tips or tricks to get past it? She has told me that she loves me but it is a different love than she feels for him. She also said that she does lust for me too. I 'think' that I can live with those two things, but I am not entirely sure.

Who knew that something so cosmic would turn into this? Any more advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you.

redpepper 08-25-2010 03:58 PM

If you walk right up to your feelings and really take the time to explore every part of them, then you can walk right through them eventually; changed yet better.

There doesn't seem to be any truck other than that if you read how others have gone through it. Its all very personal and everyones journey is different. The commonality is that its a lot of hard work to commit to.

sage 08-25-2010 06:53 PM

Yes "tips and tricks" doesn't quite cut it. I look at it as "hard but healthy work"
You can look at my first big jealousy crisis on my blog.
http://polyamorouspeople.typepad.com...ompersion.html

Do a search here for jealousy, it's a big topic. Redpepper is right in a nutshell but that might be a bit hard for someone new to understand, because the kind of jealousy you feel in polyamory is like nothing I've ever experienced. I would never have seen myself as a jealous person before my relationship with a poly partner.

You did give a clue when you said that watching their intimacy really hurt and you would have loved some of it. You are looking to C for this intimacy when you could be looking to your husband. I know that must be difficult with all the NRE floating around but the primary relationship has to be really strong to manager another relationship successfully. Maybe you and your husband need to look at your intimacy?

Ariakas 08-25-2010 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sage (Post 41682)
Do a search here for jealousy, it's a big topic. Redpepper is right in a nutshell but that might be a bit hard for someone new to understand, because the kind of jealousy you feel in polyamory is like nothing I've ever experienced. I would never have seen myself as a jealous person before my relationship with a poly partner.

Is this true? I am curious about this statement. For me any jealousy has always been rooted in some fear or insecurity. I would love to hear why you think there is a difference in the two between mono jealousy and poly jealousy?

Might be a topic for a new thread, if you are interested in elaborating :)

redpepper 08-25-2010 07:26 PM

To me fear and insecurity around poly is usually rooted to needs not being met or not being caught up on oneself or partners and where they are at with their realizations and needs.

I agree with Ari... Interesting!

PollyPocket 08-25-2010 11:43 PM

Wow, great feedback. Thank you.

I think that I may have not been framing things right lately. I 'KNOW' that I am included in all this, yet the reptile brain kept pushing through....and still does...although I am trying to put a kabosh on it.

Sometimes it feels like all the weight is so on my shoulders, and I need to breathe and let go of some of that weight. Pretty logical right? It is such a strange mix of feelings - wanting it to all work, yet not really being okay with it at the same time. I WANT to be okay with it, but at times, I am not. I am working hard though, so the payoff has GOT to come!

Thanks again for all your help.

TL4everu2 08-25-2010 11:47 PM

Been there....Done that. Almost the same thing.......Definatly is a rollercoaster ride.....and I HATE rollercoasters. But I LOVE our relationship. ;)