Polyamory.com Forum

Polyamory.com Forum (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fireplace (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Poly-friendly love songs (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35438)

samines 12-20-2012 11:56 AM

Poly-friendly love songs
 
Hey! I collect... er, hoard... music; love finding new songs, love making playlists, etc... but I've been getting frustrated recently. An awful lot of love songs seem to focus on the idea of a "one and only", which doesn't mesh well with poly... and also, a personal pet peeve- the idea that true love is synonymous with "forever".

Usually I ignore it, but like I said, it's been getting to me for a little while. Has anyone else found good songs that are a better match for a less popular/"perfect"/mono version of love?

I'd like to give an example, but I can't think of any! :rolleyes:

JaneQSmythe 12-20-2012 12:41 PM

I know others listen to a lot more music than I do - the only poly I know Must Be Tuesday's song: My Boyfriend's Girlfriend Isn't Me - and that is not a love song. (Apparently I don't listen to love songs).

You might want to check out these threads:
http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showt...ighlight=songs
http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=733

and there was another one around here somewhere where someone was looking for poly appropriate wedding music...

JaneQ

samines 12-20-2012 12:53 PM

Oh, thank you! :)

HimAndHerInBP 12-20-2012 04:34 PM

Snake River Conspiracy's "You and Your Friend". :)

wildflowers 12-24-2012 02:37 AM

It's not a poly song per se, but lately I've been feeling like Joni Mitchell's Cactus Tree is appropriate for at least some people.

This recording isn't the same as the one I have, which I like better, but it gives the basic idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-3Xv4JhiFo

polychronopolous 12-31-2012 05:40 PM

There's always Type O Negative's "My girlfriends girlfriend". They actually have quite a few songs about non-monogamy, though usually through the lense of infidelity :/ Still, kinda hard not to like some TON.

Phoenix.

bassman 12-31-2012 09:23 PM

and theres Toto's "Gorgy Porgy"

Cleo 01-01-2013 02:26 PM

lots of songs mentioned in
this thread

hyena 01-10-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samines (Post 173041)
Hey! I collect... er, hoard... music; love finding new songs, love making playlists, etc... but I've been getting frustrated recently. An awful lot of love songs seem to focus on the idea of a "one and only", which doesn't mesh well with poly... and also, a personal pet peeve- the idea that true love is synonymous with "forever".

Usually I ignore it, but like I said, it's been getting to me for a little while. Has anyone else found good songs that are a better match for a less popular/"perfect"/mono version of love?

Not to be the naysayer/finger-wagger here, but... I'd argue the problem has less to do with songs not being about poly, and more about most songs being poorly written. Pretty much any love song containing the words "forever" or "one and only" that is not told from a (specifically intended) very naive sensibility is probably not winning any lyrical awards to begin with.

Again, not to be a judgmental jerk.

Most of the songs I've heard that are specifically poly are either A) sorta novelty songs (AKA anything with the word "polyamory" in the title), or B) more about how unusual or unattainable the situation/wants of the protagonist are...

But if you're just looking for really awesome love songs that are more honest and complex, pretty sure nobody does it like John Darnielle from the Mountain Goats.

http://youtu.be/Est_Y0JsNL0

samines 01-11-2013 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyena (Post 177058)
Not to be the naysayer/finger-wagger here, but... I'd argue the problem has less to do with songs not being about poly, and more about most songs being poorly written. Pretty much any love song containing the words "forever" or "one and only" that is not told from a (specifically intended) very naive sensibility is probably not winning any lyrical awards to begin with.

Again, not to be a judgmental jerk.

Most of the songs I've heard that are specifically poly are either A) sorta novelty songs (AKA anything with the word "polyamory" in the title), or B) more about how unusual or unattainable the situation/wants of the protagonist are...

You're not being a jerk! :) I completely agree with you. I'm not looking for songs that mention polyamory, but just some less "poorly written" songs, as you say ;) A lot of songs I've been hearing are (unintentionally) naive, and it's particularly annoying me that they involve so many monogamy-fairytale assumptions.

Quote:

But if you're just looking for really awesome love songs that are more honest and complex, pretty sure nobody does it like John Darnielle from the Mountain Goats.

http://youtu.be/Est_Y0JsNL0
Thank you :) I'm trying to get a big collection (hopefully I can replace a lot of the songs that bother me in my playlists now :rolleyes: )


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:03 AM.