Polyamory.com Forum

Polyamory.com Forum (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   New Canadian (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3387)

HCgirl78 08-04-2010 02:27 PM

New Canadian

I am so glad to have found a place to talk. I am in an open marriage, it was something we discussed for well over a year before either one of us were with someone else. But I feel so alone as there is no one to talk to other than my husband about our life style choices. So I am happy to have come across this forum where I will be able to talk to others about things.

C

PS could someone fill me in on the Abbreviations used here, I am reading the forums and trying to figure out the terms used. We have never used any terms and until last night I didn't even know what to call our relationship

NeonKaos 08-04-2010 03:12 PM

There is a sticky thread under "New to Polyamory" called "Glossary and Definitions". It might not be a bad idea to look at every section of this forum and read all the stickies. There are a lot of answers to frequently asked questions in them.

HCgirl78 08-04-2010 03:27 PM

yes I did find it after a bit more searching, I figured there had to be something on here somewhere to help me out a bit.

Should also add a bit more i guess lol
I am 32, my husband is 31 and we have 3 great kids. we celebrate 11 yrs of marriage the end of this month :)

Ariakas 08-04-2010 06:02 PM

Welcome to the forum, there is a large contingent of canadians on this site eh :)

marksbabygirl 08-04-2010 06:34 PM

Welcome!

I am in Squamish.... married almost 11 years with 4 kids.

There's a LOT of Canadian people on here - always nice to have more :D

HCgirl78 08-04-2010 06:39 PM

oh really! here my husband and I were thinking we are alone and just weird in our thoughts he laughed when I said I knew what we were and it wasn't weird.
Being in a small town we have yet to meet anyone that has this type of relationship or anything close to it. I have been tempted to mention it to a few people in my life but then some how a conversation comes up about so and so cheating on their partner and they speak how disgusting that is, or swinging just that love is a man and a woman and that's it. so to know I have somewhere to go is great, although it would be so nice if I could people local that we could then befriend. we both at this point find it lonely as we have no one but each other to talk to.

marksbabygirl 08-04-2010 06:49 PM

Oh I totally get that.

My "vanilla" friends have a bit of an inkling that I'm a bit different, but for the most part - I wouldn't tell them about my wonderful evening that involved another woman... they'd be a little ... shocked? possibly - I don't want to go there with them.

The fun thing about small towns - there's more alternative people out there than we think - its just hidden better. After all - in a place like Vancouver - you can keep your personal & professional lives entirely seperate. However in small towns - chances are you're working with your neighbour.... :p

Where abouts are you?

HCgirl78 08-04-2010 06:55 PM

So true! we have suspicions about a few couples around us but one is his aunt and uncle so I am not about to broach the subject with them lol and actually my husband does work with our neighbour, that is how he got his job :p
I am near London, Ontario but with 3 kids we don't go out much so alot of our looking is online, my current bf is actually a guy I used to hang out with in highschool, things were obvious between us then but never went beyond a kiss...that is until 2 mths ago

Ariakas 08-04-2010 07:38 PM

ahhh...london is quite the town, spent a lot of my youth there, it was an escape from my hometown of Guelph :)...I still visit every few years since a number of my friends ended up there.

SourGirl 08-05-2010 06:32 AM

Welcome !

I am from nearby London, Ontario as well. for the past year and a half, we have lived in Alberta though. :)

You would be surprised by how many 'hidden' poly people are around London. ;)

They dont tend to market themselves, just live quietly. :)