Polyamory.com Forum

Polyamory.com Forum (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poly Discussions (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Poly in hotels? (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3206)

Sparkler 07-12-2010 06:41 PM

Poly in hotels?

Hi there polyfolk. I'm looking for advice on finding poly-friendly hotel accommodations.
Long story short: my husband and I (14 years in Nov!) are gently exploring our boundaries with an old and dear friend. I think we would all like to try all sleeping together in a king-size bed on a weekend getaway, for cuddling and other non-sexual affection for the moment. We would love to find a big hot tub as well. But it seems many, many hotels have occupancy limits in the king rooms, especially nice B&Bs or romantic suites with big hydro tubs. We're in southern Wisconsin. Any advice?

Ariakas 07-12-2010 06:55 PM

well any 4 star will have options for a king sized bed, and most with pullouts. Some 3 stars do as well (sheraton etc)

ummm...just don't mention the 3rd person ;) :p...honestly its unlikely anyone will check and it usually only gets caught for big parties.

Sorry not sure about b&b's. I am a hotel geek. I work in the industry so I tend to stick to big brand types :)

foxflame88 07-12-2010 08:05 PM

My significant others and I never had an issue checking in. We just asked for a room with a king bed. A few eyebrows raised, but we weren't charged extra or questioned about three people in the room.

ETA: If you ever choose to vacation in Savannah, GA, I highly reccomend the Mulberry. http://www.savannahhotel.com/ (And if you want to stick to "branded" hotels, they are affiliated with Holiday Inn, so you can use/collect rewards there.)

DazednConfused 07-12-2010 08:07 PM

Been in the industry for about 20 years, most hotels pride themselves on discretion, a- to not be sued, b- cause its all about the money. As for head count in a room, it comes down to fire code, king with a pull out should be fine for 3, more than 3 youll need a room with 2 beds, usually up to 5. As the previous poster stated, sticking with the brands migjt be your best bet.

sdguy 07-12-2010 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ariakas (Post 35617)
ummm...just don't mention the 3rd person ;) :p...honestly its unlikely anyone will check and it usually only gets caught for big parties.

Ariakas is right, just don't mention the 3rd person. Most places really don't care unless you grossly exceed room occupancy limits.

Ariakas 07-12-2010 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DazednConfused (Post 35637)
Been in the industry for about 20 years, most hotels pride themselves on discretion, a- to not be sued, b- cause its all about the money. As for head count in a room, it comes down to fire code, king with a pull out should be fine for 3, more than 3 youll need a room with 2 beds, usually up to 5. As the previous poster stated, sticking with the brands migjt be your best bet.

It is headcount and another way to gouge the guest. They can charge extra for adult heads ;) Same with rule #2 when staying in a hotel, NEVER use the phones. It is pure gravy money for them. Usually 200 to 300% markup on each call.

but I digress :)

clairegoad 07-12-2010 10:50 PM

The only reason it would come up is if you need three keycards.

And if you're there together...you won't be going in and out separately, needing multiple keycards.

(and if you do need third, I suppose you could just let the front desk know that you lost the card at dinner and need another. )

vandalin 07-13-2010 03:54 PM

When we travel, we tend to stay at Candlewood Suites which is part of the InterContinental Hotels Group along with Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza. We started using this specific hotel because they are "extended stay" rooms, kitchenette with fridge, and they also have a recliner in each room that my mom can sleep in (she can't sleep horizontally). But now with the kids, we like the Candlewoods because you can get a One Bedroom Suite (check to see if that specific hotel has the King Suite) so that Cajun and I can have some privacy while Mom & little one sleeps in the other room. ;)

Ok, I'm done plugging the hotel. Now time to make a reservation for next weekend!

Sparkler 07-14-2010 12:55 PM

Thank you all for your advice and kindness. I feel a lot less nervous about finding a place now!

TL4everu2 07-14-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vandalin (Post 35753)
When we travel, we tend to stay at Candlewood Suites which is part of the InterContinental Hotels Group along with Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza. We started using this specific hotel because they are "extended stay" rooms, kitchenette with fridge, and they also have a recliner in each room that my mom can sleep in (she can't sleep horizontally). But now with the kids, we like the Candlewoods because you can get a One Bedroom Suite (check to see if that specific hotel has the King Suite) so that Cajun and I can have some privacy while Mom & little one sleeps in the other room. ;)

Ok, I'm done plugging the hotel. Now time to make a reservation for next weekend!

Here is another vote for Candlewood suites. We had a WONDERFUL tryste at a candlewood in St. Petersburg, Fl a while back with our primaries. We have since broken up with them. :( But would LOVE to find another cpl to go there with again....;)

Oh, and we never mentioned anything about all of us being there "together".....but trust me, management knew because we were given the bill under the door while we were all being somewhat....."noisy". LOL The next morning, the manager asked the four of us if we enjoyed our stay. We looked around and said "Yep....It was perfect". He winked and said "Great. If you ever need a room in the area again, let us know." So......yeah.