Polyamory.com Forum

Polyamory.com Forum (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poly Discussions (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How long did NRE last? (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31001)

WhatHappened 10-26-2012 08:54 PM

How long did NRE last?

I know it'll vary by person, but I'm curious how long it lasted for others?

I personally don't feel like I've experienced it with my friend at all. Quite possibly because I'm wary of the whole dating a married man setup to begin with, anyway, so that regardless of how much I enjoy his company (we're heading toward a year soon), I have never let my emotions run away regarding him.

But his emotions seem to be growing, if anything, and I wonder how much of what he's feeling and doing is NRE, if it'll disappear, and so on.

SkylerSquirrel 10-26-2012 09:48 PM

I really have only one real experience to go by ... but it was a little over a year. Although it was a LDR for the last half, so I don't know if the NRE period would have been shorter or longer if we had remained in close contact.

MusicalRose 10-27-2012 04:12 AM

1-2 years for me.

GalaGirl 10-27-2012 05:01 AM

About a year for me?

GG

Helo 10-27-2012 07:52 AM

I'd have to concur with the year to year and a half estimates.

It seems we have a trend peeking its head through the water.

I wonder if that's biologically based; nine months gestation time for a new baby plus a few months of the male being around to ensure the mother and offspring are protected while the child is at its most vulnerable?

nycindie 10-29-2012 02:06 AM

Have you done a search yet? There are a number of threads discussing people's experiences with NRE. Here are a few to start you off:

How long does NRE last?

New Relationship Energy

Hoe long does NRE last in a long distance relationship?

New Relationship Energy NRE and how it forms our relationships

Hope this is helpful!

WhatHappened 10-29-2012 02:09 AM

Thank you, NYCindie!

JaneQSmythe 10-29-2012 03:31 AM

18 months with 10 weeks off (3 months in) for fixing my primary relationship. SOOOO glad to get back to my "normal" self - I hate NRE.

JaneQ

WhatHappened 10-29-2012 04:24 AM

Thank you.

I guess part of why I'm wondering is that I wonder if he'll suddenly wake up one day and wonder what he saw in me. He's made some major life changes (things I didn't ask for) because he doesn't want to cause me discomfort, because he wants this relationship to be as good for me as it is for him. I think I worry that he'll suddenly wonder what came over him and think it wasn't worth changing for, that maybe he'll even resent me, even though I didn't ask him to do these things.

LovingRadiance 10-29-2012 06:04 AM

Hmmm. When does it stop being NRE/NRC and start being ORE?

I would agree that the OMG I WANT YOUR BODY RIGHT NOW wore off about a year or so in for every relationship I have ever had.
But, with my two current loves (15 & 20 yrs) I experience the giggly, touchy feely OMG YOU ARE SO AMAZING sensations regularly and my hormones create a NRE-like cascade of sexual craziness every month for aboit ten days when I would HAPPILY accost both of them day in and day out.