Polyamory.com Forum

Polyamory.com Forum (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poly Discussions (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Polyamory = people with more integrity? (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2623)

Olivier 04-24-2010 03:45 PM

Polyamory = people with more integrity?

I've always noticed that many people (according to some statistics well over 50%) cheat on their spouse. When I ask them why, most of them say it is easier to hide and do it anyway instead of confronting their partner. They basically choose the easy way out. The problem is that they enforce the old paradigm this way. If everyone would be upfront enough to just bite the bullet and admit they have feelings for other people (I know most persons do), instead of hiding and saying their partner is the one and only, polyamory would become universal.

LovingRadiance 04-24-2010 04:00 PM

Even if Poly wasn't for everyone-at least honesty would make everything operate better.

redpepper 04-24-2010 05:12 PM

The title of this thread is what I mean to address here. Integrity is a virtue. I don't think virtues necessarily come naturally to people. They need practice and need to be important to people. Quite often they aren't. Or at least go unnoticed. People seem to think they can get away with not being virtuous. Then they wonder why they are miserable and alone. At least this is what I have seen in some people.

I don't think poly people are more virtuous in terms of integrity, but do seem to practice it more in order to keep it. Otherwise they are not being true to the name of polyamory in my book.

Honestheart 04-24-2010 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olivier (Post 27428)
I've always noticed that many people (according to some statistics well over 50%) cheat on their spouse

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olivier (Post 27428)
If everyone would be upfront enough to just bite the bullet and admit they have feelings for other people (I know most persons do), instead of hiding and saying their partner is the one and only, polyamory would become universal.

this was the reason i started up another thread about polyamory and affairs.... i wondered if you were poly if it was still possible to cheat or have an affair seeing as how you are openly acknowledging you can and will fall in love with more then one person at the same time... and yes, i found it was possible. but again, it all boils down to being honest to admit you have feelings and communicating with your significant other.... and even in poly relationships that does not always happen.
i dont think poly itself lessens the chance of affairs or cheating...

but i think that i see whet you are saying Olivier... so perhaps it not that affairs or cheating do not happen in poly but rather that is just that ,oddly enough, polyamory tends to encourage the high value and necessity of honesty, integrity, and communication in relationships more so then the society driven monogamy. does that make sense?

redpepper 04-24-2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honestheart (Post 27457)
this was the reason i started up another thread about polyamory and affairs....

your thread.... for those that are wondering

http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2353

there are others if anyone cares to do a search for them.... lots tagged under "cheating" and "affairs"

MonoVCPHG 04-25-2010 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LovingRadiance (Post 27430)
Even if Poly wasn't for everyone

It's not :p....just to be a pain in your ass LR :)

LovingRadiance 04-25-2010 04:53 AM

I know that MON! ;)

MonoVCPHG 04-25-2010 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LovingRadiance (Post 27523)
I know that MON! ;)

Heehee!...I am a little shit sometimes :) I think every poly forum should have one :eek:

LovingRadiance 04-25-2010 05:07 AM

Are little shit's better than big one's? :rolleyes:

MonoVCPHG 04-25-2010 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LovingRadiance (Post 27534)
Are little shit's better than big one's? :rolleyes:

I'm kinky....but even I'm not going there ;)