Polyamory.com Forum

Polyamory.com Forum (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poly Discussions (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Stereotypes (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2619)

Honestheart 04-23-2010 07:54 PM

Stereotypes

just wondering if the following has been experienced when you have come out about being polyamourous ....
~polyamourous men stereotyped as being players or having "commitment issues" by women or being given the congratulations by male friends for "living the dream"
~ polyamourous women seen as promiscuous, loose, or simply "having commitment issues" by either of the sexes....

just curious. I've not experienced this to my knowledge, but have been told by one couple they experienced a lot of this. just wondered if it was a common thing.

MonoVCPHG 04-23-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honestheart (Post 27380)
just wondering if the following has been experienced when you have come out about being polyamourous ....
~polyamourous men stereotyped as being players or having "commitment issues" by women or being given the congratulations by male friends for "living the dream"
~ polyamourous women seen as promiscuous, loose, or simply "having commitment issues" by either of the sexes....

just curious. I've not experienced this to my knowledge, but have been told by one couple they experienced a lot of this. just wondered if it was a common thing.

I think all of these are common opinions by a lot of people. I have experienced this.

Derbylicious 04-24-2010 12:53 AM

I know that I've been approached by men more than once wanting to have affairs with me because they know that I'm poly.

-Derby

MonoVCPHG 04-24-2010 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derbylicious (Post 27397)
I know that I've been approached by men more than once wanting to have affairs with me because they know that I'm poly.

-Derby

Well, if I was poly ;)....Ohhhh Redpepper is gonna give it to me for that one! :eek:

Derbylicious 04-24-2010 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG (Post 27399)
Well, if I was poly ;)....Ohhhh Redpepper is gonna give it to me for that one! :eek:

You're too much of a flirt for your own good! LOL

LovingRadiance 04-24-2010 04:11 PM

Yes yes he is-but it's sure fun for the rest of us!

I have experienced that. I often get sideways comments about having commitment issues. :(
I ignore it. I've been committed for a LONG ASS time. Longer than any of the dumbasses making the comments!

ksandra 04-24-2010 04:18 PM

I've been very fortunate to have never experienced this directly though I have heard jokes being made about it at work, not too me though, just in general.

LovelyArianna 04-25-2010 07:15 AM

Yeah, the one that stings is that we just can move on from person to person or that we are always looking for someone, and that we can 'replace' people easily and that well, why would their leaving bother you, you are poly. wow, where do they get this stuff. I think outta their own fears.

Ari

kamala 04-25-2010 09:25 AM

What about this stereotype: "Oh poor girl, you poor sad, abused creature, you must have such low self esteem to let your man run around with other women! What? You're happy with it? You must be delusional then, too..."

:rolleyes:

GroundedSpirit 04-25-2010 02:39 PM

Stereotypes are a convenient crutch for people who have neither the time, interest or ability to dig deeper into something to get any true understanding.
Just a shortcut. :) Often self defeating. Creates a bigger mess to untangle than the effort at real understanding would have taken.

GS