Polyamory.com Forum

Polyamory.com Forum (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fireplace (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Avatar (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1929)

Ravenesque 01-08-2010 08:14 PM

I saw Avatar Wednesday night.

*sighs*

It was the retelling of an old sad story yet it was a new story altogether. It made me remember something just out of reach, at the corners of my mind. Something rich and beautiful. An interconnectedness with the earth and its people. Balance and awareness. And the loss of that. An aching yearning loss.

There is another element to it but I won't go into that now.

Did anyone else watch Avatar? What did you think of it?

~Raven~

CielDuMatin 01-08-2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenesque (Post 19185)
Did anyone else watch Avatar? What did you think of it?

Saw it and loved it. True escapism, because the world felt so real. Amazing they that could make it so seamless so you didn't know what was computer and what was live.

Story was predictable right from the start (and there's nothing wrong with that) and told really well in a very engaging way.

I'm not usually a fan of "things go boom" movies - and there were a lot of things going "boom" in this. But there was enough other stuff to keep my interest. It was a long movie (nearly 2.5 hours) but they needed that in my opinion to tell the story in a balanced way.

They made the na'vi look alien enough and yet alluring (I've already seen discussion threads about alien sex with them!), but in a very classy, non-tacky way.

Two sequels are planned, depending on total box office, I heard.

Ariakas 01-08-2010 08:39 PM

saw it in 2d. Apparently in 3d its just freaking amazing.

Story - predictable but well told. As with all stories, its the retelling that counts.
CGI - solid, in fact it was difficult at times to tell the difference. I was impressed
Boom factor - right up there with the best. The movie is not all boom, just a good balance.
Tear factor - The girl I went with loved it, cried at several parts.

Makes this a great movie that appeals to pretty much anyone. I enjoyed it so much I am making an effort to hit the big city to see it in 3d with my wife and friend :)

MonoVCPHG 01-08-2010 08:55 PM

I really enjoyed it! I got choked up, Redpepper cried:o

She was a little disapointed by all the monogamy though LOL! The people mated for life, the animals chose a rider for life...yeah, she wasn't too impressed with that.

lovefromgirl 01-08-2010 10:07 PM

I saw it. Oh, lord, Sigourney Weaver was hot, Michelle Rodriguez doubly so.

Um. :D

It made good use of its medium; film is wonderful for telling a simpler story with visual punch, and this was that in spades.

I've seen discussions about certain problematic elements, and I'm glad I went in watching for them. Iiiiinteresting.

ImaginaryIllusion 01-08-2010 10:46 PM

Loved the computer displays in the lab and on the ships. See through huds, gesture controls, seemless integration from workstations to portable tablets...I wantz it!

JonnyAce 01-09-2010 06:48 AM

I saw it in IMAX 3D, and it was great. The story was, simplistic, and predictable, but i didn't care because every 3 seconds i was just thinking "ooooh pretty *drool*). I particularly liked how the 3D didn't jump out at you, but instead brought you in. I actually felt as if i was in the world. Since it's the 2nd highest grossing movie of all time i assume the 2 sequels will be made. :D:D

lovefromgirl 01-09-2010 06:53 AM

Sequels?!

But the story was complete at the end...

*facepalm*

JonnyAce 01-09-2010 06:57 AM

I respectfully disagree. James Cameron originally envisioned it as a trilogy. Also didn't you ask yourself what happens when the Humans who are in transit arrive?, What happens to the Na'vi? where do they live? do they accept Sully as one of their own? just some of the questions i had after seeing it.

DrunkenPorcupine 01-09-2010 07:12 AM

Quote:

It was the retelling of an old sad story
Yep. Fern Gully. :)