Polyamory.com Forum

Polyamory.com Forum (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/index.php)
-   Spirituality & Polyamory (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Unitarian Universalists for Polyamory Awareness (UUPA) (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1853)

Ravenesque 12-30-2009 04:45 AM

Unitarian Universalists for Polyamory Awareness (UUPA)

A long time ago I found that the the Unitarian Universalist Association Principles and Purposes resonated with me. And I was pleased to find that the Unitarian Universalist church has a pagan section called Covenant of Unitarian Universalist Pagans (CUUPS).

Within the last few days to my happy shock I found that the UUs also have an organization devoted to polyamory.

Unitarian Universalists for Polyamory Awareness (UUPA)

I list this for others who might find it useful as some UUs who are also polyamorous may not know it exists. I have not participated in as many UU events as I would like but this does further increase my good feelings towards them and their efforts to include people from so many walks of life under a compassionate message.

~Raven~

Ceoli 12-30-2009 04:58 AM

As a longtime passionate UU, I say YAY!!! Many of the poly people I've known in my life were through UU connections and I have heard that UUPA is growing as an organization.

GreenEarthAl on this forum is also a UU. If you want to find some good networks to get involved with, I'm sure Al or me could hook you up. I think you'd find the work they do in identity politics interesting too.

greenearthal 12-30-2009 05:17 AM

I am REALLY REALLY hoping to go to General Assembly this year and meat people from UUPA that I have seen the text from for several years without having any persona to associate with them.

Ravenesque 12-30-2009 05:26 AM

That is so cool Ceoli! Wow, I didn't know you were a UU.

I'd been meaning to go to the UU Church regularly before I moved this year but I never did.

I researched them like crazy before college and when I was a freshman at university. I came across them while looking for pagan groups.

I actually went, completely new to that town and catching the bus late at night, to a CUUPS meeting. They were so nice. Warm and open. I was nervous at first but that did ease after a while. When they realized I didn't have a ride home and the buses had stopped running, a few of them drove me back to my dorm on campus. (This was me, first year out of NYC in a town where the public transportation was quite noticeably unlike NYC transit).

It was a very positive experience for me and I felt a little buzzed from the energy of the ritual.

I didn't and still don't feel the UUs would clash with my spirituality, politics or any of my identities. Nevermind my slight aversion to the word "church." I feel it would be a good supplement in my spiritual path.

I would like to find a spiritual center that my love also enjoys. He is Christian and accepting of my spirituality. We've spoken about it. The United Church of Christ is another that shares many of the same views as the UUs and they are allied it seems in different places. We'll explore together which is best for us individually.

There are UU congregations where I am now (still Upstate). One even had a Solstice celebration last week. I really yearned to go but there was a holiday party at work (out of millions of holiday parties dear lord...)

I've vowed to start in January and it would be great to connect with other polys who just happen to be UUs and vice versa :D.

~Raven~

Ravenesque 12-30-2009 05:29 AM

Ooh. I will probably look it up OR I have already come across it and forgotten but what is the General Assembly? It sounds exciting the way you write about it :)

~Raven~

Ceoli 12-30-2009 05:34 AM

Heh, if you googled my real name with UU or Unitarian, you'd get a heck of a lot of hits. I worked for a lot of churches in various capacities, but most often as music director. Then there's the young adult network where Al and I know each other from...then there's the AR/AO...and it goes on and on...

Ravenesque 12-30-2009 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceoli (Post 17345)
Heh, if you googled my real name with UU or Unitarian, you'd get a heck of a lot of hits. I worked for a lot of churches in various capacities, but most often as music director. Then there's the young adult network where Al and I know each other from...then there's the AR/AO...and it goes on and on...

Now I'm curious. But how many years have you been with the UU church?

~Raven~

GroundedSpirit 12-30-2009 02:56 PM

Thank you

Raven,

Thank you SO much for starting this thread and to others who have contributed so far.
To date, we've only been vaguely familiar with UU, having had several friends (including lovers) that were members. Just in the last 2-3 months we've become increasingly curious about the potential because we feel a need to get out and have more human interaction with like-minded individuals (not just poly etc). We had actually made the initial call to the local UU leader (?) and had plans for making a visit after the holidays.
Your info & links turned out to be a real gem. Spawning from that came a treasure trove of just "good stuff" that seemed to support our decision & curiosity.
We've avoided such a thing in the past primarily because the terms "church" and "religion" have profound negative connotations to us. We think we've seen past that stereotype and are willing to investigate deeper and your links provided support for that decision. We encourage any other readers to peruse some of the material regardless of religious or spiritual beliefs. There seems to be a range of just "solid wisdom" circulating in some of these sites.

GS

CielDuMatin 12-30-2009 04:58 PM

I think it was greenearthal that brought the UU church and their stance on poly to my awareness. Very pleased to see that at least one church has acknowledged that it doesn't clash with their doctrines by definition.

juliepatchoulie 12-30-2009 05:19 PM

Awesome UU

Awesome.