Polyamory.com Forum

Polyamory.com Forum (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poly Discussions (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   More women, more PMS (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13034)

JameeDee 08-04-2011 08:21 PM

More women, more PMS

Pinky1223 and I are discussing the monthly cycle of our relationship.

We've discovered a pattern :)

Fights always seem to come up about 2 days before she or I start our periods. Duh!

Problem is, we don't always recognize the signs...until 2 days later, when Aunt Flo shows up.

Then we feel bad for being bitchy and hormonal.

So, this month, Pinky (being the bestest girlfriend ever) recognized the signs of my PMS and sprung into action!

First: She recommended I take a xanax. I complied.
Next: She took Poppa aside and explained to him that he was not to try to be funny, or cute, or sexy, or even speak...really, for the next 48 hours.
Then: She had the same talk with my son, and made sure his chores were done before I got home :)
Finally: She cooked my favorite comfort foods (Meatloaf & Mac n' Cheese), kept the children away from me, and let me go to bed early.

I love my girlfriend!

I woke up in a great mood the next day!

Anyone else have any tips or tricks for handling "that time of the month," when there is more than one female in the relationship?

Castalia 08-05-2011 03:59 PM

no tips really, just wanted to say that I think that's adorable:D

Magdlyn 08-05-2011 06:35 PM

Another idea would be for both of you to mark the first day of your periods on a prominent calendar in your house... actually I think all women should do that.

nycindie 08-05-2011 07:36 PM

Xanax, really? Isn't that for anxiety? Seems extreme to me.

But then again, I never suffered from what they call PMS and I object to referring to anything associated with women's natural functions as a syndrome.

I would think, rather than medicating, why not just plan on pampering yourselves and/or each other? Bubble baths, massages, meditation, go swimming, a nice walk in nature, that kind of stuff.

SourGirl 08-05-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycindie (Post 96004)
Xanax, really? Isn't that for anxiety? Seems extreme to me.

But then again, I never suffered from what they call PMS and I object to referring to anything associated with women's natural functions as a syndrome.

I would think, rather than medicating, why not just plan on pampering yourselves and/or each other? Bubble baths, massages, meditation, go swimming, a nice walk in nature, that kind of stuff.

Ditto. To all.

TruckerPete 08-05-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magdlyn (Post 95986)
Another idea would be for both of you to mark the first day of your periods on a prominent calendar in your house... actually I think all women should do that.

The men-folk have jokingly requested I mark my period on the house calendar ... At least, I think they were joking.

SNeacail 08-05-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycindie (Post 96004)

Some of us do get extreme emotional swings and all the pampering in the world doesn't help. The medicating isn't for others, it can be necessary to function. While I don't resort to the prescription strength stuff, I do need more than just a hot bath.

Carma 08-05-2011 08:43 PM

There is a novel called The Red Tent (great read!) set in Biblical times (OT) where the women would have to go into a tent during their menstrual cycles, kind of like they were quarantined (likely some religious thing, they were "unclean" or some such nonsense).... but ironically it was there and then that the women had some wonderful bonding times!

I think it's so sweet how you two look out for each other. :)

nycindie 08-05-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carma (Post 96022)
. . . they were quarantined (likely some religious thing, they were "unclean" or some such nonsense).... but ironically it was there and then that the women had some wonderful bonding times!

There were also cultures that believed women were holy (medicine women) and were closer to their inner wisdom during their "moon times." Separating them from the rest of the clan/tribe/community was a way of honoring the deep processes they underwent each month. They would wear rags and menstrual blood was considered magical. It was a time of prayer and introspection, and they would come back with more wisdom to share with the tribe.

openbj 08-06-2011 03:37 AM

I can relate!! Except that it's just me, the only female in the house. I was feeling snappy and angry and sad and jealous and, well, every emotion under the sun yesterday. But, I actually caught myself this time and recognized it for what it was instead of lashing out at J (like I really wanted to). I held it all in and kept it in check. We had a great date night as a result :)

This morning, yep, Mother Nature calling! I wasn't happy about it, but I was proud of myself for recognizing why I was feeling the way I was and not letting it control me. Now if I could just do this every month J would think I was Superwoman or something, fighting the forces of evil hormones!!