Polyamory.com Forum

Polyamory.com Forum (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fireplace (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Basic writing tools (http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12853)

nycindie 07-31-2011 10:22 PM

Basic writing tools

Why is it that so many people post on message boards without any respect for proper nouns, capitalization, or punctuation these days? I won't even get into grammar. If I see one more 10-paragraph post without a single capital letter or even a comma, I think I will scream. I just can't read that shit and not wonder whether the writer is just sloppy or dumb. It totally obscures the content.

NeonKaos 07-31-2011 10:28 PM

Me too. I don't read those. I have enough to keep me busy without trying to decipher a wall o text.

Sometimes I get lazy when I'm on my ipod and don't capitalize or punctuate perfectly, but i know you're talking about when people make it their default style and don't seem to care if they come across as illiterate.

nycindie 07-31-2011 10:32 PM

Yes, those are the people who won't even capitalize my name when addressing me, or their own name when signing off, in an email. Bugs the shit out of me.

BornEmpathinVirgo 08-01-2011 04:43 AM

I apologize if I am irritating in any of these things. I text a good amount of the time, so the shortening of words and lack of commas is a habit. I consider myself quite intelligent.

nycindie 05-19-2012 08:03 PM

Been happening a lot lately

Okay, I'm venting, but I'd also like to make a plea.

Please, please, please, people -- use punctuation and capitalization in your posts!

Just a period or comma would help immensely to make posts readable. That is the bare minimum for written communication, after all! This is a forum, not your cell phone.

I just cannot bear to slog through another long, run-on sentence trying to figure out its meaning because the writer was too lazy to put a period at the end of one sentence and capitalize the start of the next. Some consideration, please!

/rant

Emm 05-20-2012 12:42 AM

Not quite as jarring as the wall of un-punctuated text, but:

There ≠ their ≠ they're,
Your ≠ you're,
Then ≠ than,
Loose ≠ lose.

They are different words because they have different meanings. Use the one that means what you are trying to say, not one that just looks or sounds similar to what you are trying to say.

ThatGirlInGray 05-20-2012 03:14 AM

I have some experience with non-native English speakers, so I can overlook incorrect word usage if I can understand the point being made (I'm occasionally guilty of affect/effect and its/it's), but the wall o' text just strikes me as such teenager-ish behavior. It's selfish, really, to want us to slog through a mess of words which are not put together well. If they don't respect the reader enough to give their best effort, why should we put effort into responding?

I'm not a naturally good writer. I have to put a lot of time into a post to be sure it makes some sort of sense outside my head, and I know I still have mistakes or miss things. But having said that, here's a pet peeve of mine about written English:

It's not "could OF". It's "could HAVE". One should HAVE written "could HAVE" instead of "could OF", and I would HAVE! :P

nycindie 05-20-2012 04:40 AM

Oh, all of these are good ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatGirlInGray (Post 136262)
...here's a pet peeve of mine about written English:

It's not "could OF". It's "could HAVE". One should HAVE written "could HAVE" instead of "could OF", and I would HAVE! :P

Hell yeah, that's another pet peeve of mine, too!

When someone does that, I think they mean the contraction. I can see how the words "should've," "could've," and "would've" sounds like "should of," "could of," and "would of," in their heads. When I first started seeing that in various places, it annoyed me to no end, but I can forgive it a little more than a lack of punctuation.

Cleo 05-21-2012 09:48 AM

While I agree that lack of punctuation makes it hard to read a post (and I can almost always tell when someone is posting from a phone) I would like to ask for some consideration for all posters who are not native speakers (in English)..

My English is pretty good but not perfect, and I have seen a number of new members lately who I suspect are not from the US or England. Especially when people first come here they are often emotional when writing about their issues and that doesn't always make for the most perfectly constructed sentences :) It would be sad if someone would not have the courage to post because they worry their English isn't good enough.

Also: I have been reading these boards for a very long time before I joined and some of the posters I respect the most for their wisdom and experience and insight are 'guilty' of the could of / could have mistake. It doesn't bother me at all because I can see they put so much effort into replying to people and giving advice.

kdt26417 05-21-2012 07:15 PM

That's a good point; the amount of effort in general put into a post is usually pretty apparent.