Family Therapy (Marriage Counseling) Dropped from Insurance!

Erin

Has anyone else sought after Marriage Counseling (termed Family Therapy for insurance coverage) but been unable to because their insurance company doesn't really cover it?

I learned today that BOTH of our insurance companies won't support my interest in seeking family therapy (to prevent The Big D). One plan dropped 'counseling' altogether, and the other will pay 60% for 30 days IF my deductible is met AND if I've been clinically diagnosed as having a disorder such as depression!!!

This means I'd have to be diagnosed with a disorder to get 60% covered, but then I'd have to be "cured" in under 30 days. What has this world come to?!

This leaves me to reading books and writing on this forum. My husband refuses to accept my open-marriage requests, but I also don't want divorce. What have you done to find comfort during your tough times?

YEP!
We hvae the same issue.
We actually found a counselor who would do it and bill it as therapy and treatment for my ADD. But it's a REAL crock of shit.

None of our insurance over the past 18 years has covered marriage counceling. I don't know of anyone, at least here in CA, that has ever had their insurance cover it. ADD/ADHD is covered, not quite sure for how long:rolleyes:. General rule of thumb with insurance, the more you pay monthly to the insurance co, the more they will cover. Our councelor charges $90/visit and we were going every week for a while. I have cut us back to once a month just because of the cost.

My company offers 5 visits annually per family member per issue - but it's not done through the insurance company. Sadly, I have never heard of an insurance company covering marital counseling.

I think it's rather odd that therapy isn't covered. I guess I've got a good plan with mental health benefits, I don't even think I have to specify what kind of therapy I'm undergoing; therapy is therapy, whether for marriage problems or depression or what-have-you.

That being said, sometimes you can find low-cost or free counseling through community groups or churches. I don't necessarily think you have to look only for marriage therapy per se - as long as whatever counselor you work with has experience with relationships. Lots of pastors do counseling, and there are some forward thinking ones - perhaps look for Unitarian or Reformed churches. Google your area for women's groups, too. Maybe you can meet someone who knows a resource. You can also see if there are any programs run by your town or county. All the best to you!

Well, I discussed this marriage counseling idea with him last night. Regardless of the out of pocket price, he doesnt want to go but he deeply wants to work this out with me. He admitted to marital neglect and will pay better attention to my needs so that I not only stay in this marriage but also remain monogamous for him. He loves me dearly and really is a good person - he has just neglected (and ignored) my sexual needs for too many years. I bought the book, "Getting Back Together: How to Reconcile with Your Partner - and Make It Last" by Young and Goetz. It is a temporary solution to move forward. I bought that for us. However, I also secretely bought, "The Ethical Slut," by Easton and Hardy for me :) ::snickering::

In Australia most private health insurance will cover a psychologist for 9 visits per year (give or take)... marriage counselling is free through government sponsored organisations and mandatory when divorce is filed and children are involved.

I cant stand Illinois, so I might be moving to Australia... :)

Erin

I don't know if my insurance covers things like this, I will have to look into it. However, I do know that there should be some sort of solution that you company provides. Check with your HR department to see if there is a counselor on stand by for your company. Also there are other free avenues such as the church. Well I hope this helps, also don't go to Australia move to Colorado :). I know my wife would like you.

Kelvin

Erin, don't go to Australia move to Colorado :). I know my wife would like you. Kelvin

Do you suggest Colorado because of Manitou Springs? I have family out there and love love love that city!! I'd love to live the modern hippie lifestyle but IL and my profession wont allow for it. How come your wife would like me? Is it something I've said? :)

Did you have a good Thanksgiving? I did!

Erin

Me suggesting Colorado was me being selfish. You seem like a nice caring person and I don't have a problem with curvy women :D. Plus this being poly is both new and difficult for my wife and I.

As far as you two getting alone based off what I've read from you so far leads me to believe that you two could become friends. However, she want me to let you know that she isn't bi but doesn't have a problem with sharing me with a bi woman.

For us this is also finding new friends and connecting with people who are serious about the lifestyle

Our Thanksgiving was awesome. We have been in Las Vegas since Monday and are leaving Sunday early morning. We are driving back to Colorado and will be back in the tomorrow afternoon. If you want to you can yahoo instant message me using the polynHR at yahoo dot com.

Kelvin

Last edited:
He refuses counseling but wants to 'work' with you to improve the marriage.

Based on your previous posts, I am pretty skeptical.

Kelvin,

I don't want you to get the wrong impression about my intentions here. After all he and I have said to each other in recent days, I am willing to work it out until all avenues have been exhausted. He agrees of this too. We have not opened the book I bought yet, but he is definitely paying better attention to me. He's like the Tin Man who needs an oil can in the cracks and crevices. However, only time will tell. Until then, my heart will remain faithful to him as he has asked me not to stray while I am in this marriage. I think that is fair since I believe respect and trust must be at the top of our list if this marriage is to be a success story. Wouldn't you agree?

Back