Gaming and Gamers

Somegeezer

Seems to be a fair few of us around the site and find it very interesting. My thoughts were to just make a casual thread for gaming. Perhaps tell us your favourites, what consoles you own/enjoy playing on. Maybe what first got you into gaming and what your first game was? What games are you playing now?
If it's cool with you, maybe add gamertags/usernames for people to add you. Of course, like any information on the internet, make sure it is something you are sure you want to share with the public before doing so. =]

I'll start us off, as I should. =P

I started gaming back when I was about 4 or 5. At least that I can remember. I'm not sure if my first ever experience of gaming was on a PC or my Sega Megadrive [Genesis for you strange Americans and such].

Of course my first on the Megadrive was the classic Sonic The Hedgehog. I don't know a single person who didn't have this for their Megadrive. It probably came in some bundle at the store or something. I would totally buy a Megadrive again, just for that game. =P

On PC, I remember my first games being Superfrog and the absolutely amazingly cheesy Zool. A game sponsored by Chupa Chups lollipops. XD That was on my father's PC. Probably one of the very early adopters of the PC and especially an early adopter of PC music recording.

But hey, back to gaming. I went through/have been through many consoles. With my first being the Megadrive, I went down the Playstation route. PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3. In fact still owning the last 3. I found the PSP to be incredbly flawed though. I bought maybe 1 game for it ever. Ended up hacking the thing and downloading other games through torrenting for it. Even now, I still never really pick the thing up.

First ever game on my PS1 was Worms. A game which actually got me into both Trance and Ambient music, through the amazing work of Bjorn Lynne. I think he's like the official go to guy for Worms series music. But a damn great game too.

I still enjoy my PS3 from time to time, but games on the thing are a real blow to the funds at times. But with online play being free and have great processing power, I really can't argue. Did you know, the first batches were actually being sold at about half the price they were worth? Puts a real spin on everyone complaining that the prices were so high eh?

These days, after building myself a great music production rig, I've actually turned to the PC as my main gaming rig. With just the addition of a fairly nice graphics card, I've been able to play everything I've ever desired to.

Some of my favourite games... Definitely the Worms series. Especially the early games. Metal Gear Solid. Since playing the first one, I always wanted to play the others. Eventually did and have loved the series since. The PSP versions, not to great. Looking so forward to Metal Gear Rising though!
The GTA series, as typical as that may be. =P I have posters from the series all over my bedroom wall. Again, been a fan from the start. I think I played the first game back on a PC before playing it on the PS1 though.

Right now I'm playing a lot of Skyrim. Just completed the newest Assassin's Creed. Love a bit of Dirt 3 now and then. I like to play around with new games before going back to old ones that have lasted the test of time. I'm not a huge online gamer, but I do when I can. I'd especially love a partner on Portal 2 if anyone ever fancies it.

PSN: SolidConscience
Steam: SolidConscience

Last edited:
I'm not really a gamer - I am exploring role playing board games which I enjoy but doubt it will become the obsession it is with some of my friends. Still, and I cannot explain this, I often attract, and find attractive back, Jewish, atheist, geeky, gamer dudes. Most of the men I see right now fit all or most of those categories.

I started out on NES. Mario Brothers. My great-grandmother bought it for me while I was in the hospital recovering from spinal meningitis, so I had more than enough time to sit around and get nicely addicted. lol.

From there I graduated to a Sega Genesis, then an N64, GameBoy Color, Sega Game Gear, PlayStation, PS2, GameCube, Xbox, Nintendo DS... and sadly, that's where I sit right now. I still can't afford a PS3 or X360. It makes me cry at night.

My game of choice right now is a toss-up. I'm either sitting at my brother's playing Skyrim or Batman: Arkham City (Come not near to me, I am more Batmanly than thou).

Gray, Monochrome, and I are currently prepping a GURPS campaign to game long-distance because we're having dice withdrawals, lol.

Opal, if you're not quite sure you're ready to dive in to rpg games, I highly suggest giving the card game Munchkin a try. It comes in lots of variations (DnD, Vampires, spies, cthulhu, ninjas, etc.), it's not nearly as much work/thought as creating your own character, and you can finish a game in less than a couple hours.

For me, I don't do video games much. I played Breakout, Centipede, Frogger, etc occasionally on my grandparents' Atari when I was a kid, got an NES in middle school and played Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt (when my sis and I could get the controller from our dad) but until I got married that's about it.

Monochrome and I have owned a PS and a PS2, and still have some games for them, but we haven't played them in FOREVER. I think at one point we had a N64 that I played a Southpark game on. It involved turkeys, iirc. But now my 5 year old wants to try video games, so some of those might get dragged out again.

I'm a tabletop gamer. DnD, Vampire: TM, Mage and Monochrome is working on getting me into a GURPS or Heroes game with TGIB. I'm not a great actress, so my characters end up being a lot like me (or like I wish I was :p) but I enjoy sitting around with my friends with soda/snacks/alcohol. Kinda like a movie night but FAR more interactive. :)

Last edited:
I started out with Oregon Trail on our first family computer and then moved on to Tetris and Duck Hunt. I still wish they would add old fashioned Tetris on the ps3, which is the system we have now. As a kid I also played some of the typical board and card games, Uno and trouble.
Learned to play Everquest years ago while with an ex and I hated it.
Gamerboy taught me how to play Magic when we first got together. I built a couple of decks; kicked his butt, BAD. After that we played board games for a while, Settlers of Catan and Kill Doctor Lucky. Then Gamerboy convinced me to start playing WOW with him. I don't play regularly or have top level characters but I do enjoy playing occasionally.
We bought a ps3 last year but we rarely play games on it. We bought it so we could watch Netflix and Hulu in the livingroom.
Eventually Madscientist and Gamerboy wanted to start playing D&D again and needed another player, so they convinced me to learn how to play.
D&D is the game we most frequently play and we've been playing fairly regularly for a couple of years now. In that time the guys have decided to strip down and rebuild the game, so we are playing a slightly different version now.
I think Gamerboy sometimes regrets teaching me how to play D&D. He frequently runs the games and Madscientist and I are a fairly ornery team. Madscientist and I bounce off of each other a lot and rarely taken the beaten path. Gamerboy has had to learn not to plan out anything too much since Madscientist and I always do what he least expected us to. I say it has made him a better story teller and player but I think sometimes he'd love to smack the both of us.:D

Awww, Guy In Black, it's a shame you can't afford them. Especially as the 360 is really damn cheap these days. You could even get a good PS3 for a nice price. Even better if you go second hand. I'd say I'm lucky in that I had the many monies it cost for my PC. But it really is a tool I needed. I do the majority of my work on here, as well as using it for gaming.

Girl In Gray [Grey =P], I remember that South Park game. I'm sure it must have been on PS1 as well or something. I never owned it, but I knew friends who did. It was pure cheese of a game. =P

I've never been much of a board games kinda guy. I'm probably from one of the first generations that got into computer gaming before board games. But it's hard to beat a classic game of Monopoly or Trivial Pursuit. I've never played any tabletop stuff like D&D though. Perhaps I should give it a go, but I'd have no idea where to start. It's such a stereotypical nerd game. =P

Well, being unemployed for about two years'll do that to your finances. Before that, I was the breadwinner, so I didn't spend a lot of cash on things for myself. All went to my kids.

"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

I'm not what I consider to be a gamer, but my loves certainly are. I adore gaming memes.

Though I'm a mad addict for Settlers of Catan. It's a board game, in which the board is different every time you play. You play for resources and then you build stuff.

[current bf said to me tonight, when I was discussing this forum, and that I was surprised to find that lots of gamers are poly, 'co-op is fine, but we prefer multi-player.']

"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

I'm not what I consider to be a gamer, but my loves certainly are. I adore gaming memes.

Though I'm a mad addict for Settlers of Catan. It's a board game, in which the board is different every time you play. You play for resources and then you build stuff.

[current bf said to me tonight, when I was discussing this forum, and that I was surprised to find that lots of gamers are poly, 'co-op is fine, but we prefer multi-player.']
I've never played that game, but I certainly know of it. I was brought up on games a little after the text based stuff. Side-scrollers were probably my first love. Oh but when true 3D gaming came about... My mind was blown. To see the way gaming has come so far, too. I'm amazed at it all. =] I can't wait to see where things go. I certainly hope I can still be around when they are hooking up our minds so that we can visualise these virtual worlds just as our real one. ^_^

Oh, that reminds me. Zynga games. I am addicted to Facebook games.

Glitter dust reminded me, because CastleVille frequently makes me beg people for "glitter dust" and "fairy wings." Oh, the teasing.

"I shoot the darkness!!"

(Yes, real quote from a real gaming session. Wasn't me.)

Oooooh boy where to begin on this thread....

Let me start at the begining. I started gaming, back in the day, on an old Commodore 64 my parents had. Playing things like Frogger and Q-Bert, as well as things like Bruce Lee's Kung Fu and Zork 1-3 (I later tracked down a CD that has all the Zork games up to Return to Zork on it).

About a year after it came out my mother broke down and bought me an NES. I was a pretty hardcore Nintendo gamer up until a few years ago when things started to really split and what system you had really did matter. As of right now I own a Wii that Yoda plays, and the XBox 360 which everyone plays. The hot games for me from the consoles are pretty much the Mass Effect series, that and Gears of War. I'm a sucker for epic last stands, and both games pull them off well.

For my PC I just picked up a copy of Oblivion with all the DLC for $6.25 on Steam so I've been poking at that every now and again. My main games are The Old Republic, City of Heroes, and World of Tanks. I've also got a severely neglected League of Legends account.

As for other games...

I learned to play Magic right around the release of The Dark and stopped in '98. I picked it up again for about a year when my local gaming group looked for something to do. In that time I picked up Magic, Pokemon, and Legend of the Five Rings. Of those the only one I miss is Legend of the Five Rings. It was a good mix of everything and the story that's told from set to set is pretty awesome, if you like samurai epics.

I play Warmachine, and was a massive Games Workshop junkie. I have 2 40K armies (Dark Angels/Deathwing and Tau), a fantasy army (Dark Elves), an Epic force (combined Eldar/Imperium), 2 Necromunda gangs, a Blood Bowl team (High Elves), and some other stuff kicking about. I stopped playing when the rules changed every couple of years, required you to buy a $70 book, and that there was no guaranteeing that models you'd bought prior would be worth a damn in the new version. So rather then keep pouring money into it I walked away and picked up Warmachine.

As for RPGs, I usually end up running the games around here. I've run/played more games then I care to list (it's a lot of typing, really) and read more on top of it. I see running games as a craft of sorts, weaving a story that others want to participate in while everyone has a good time. I usually end up running something horror related, with an Orpheus game being my best so far. Currently I'm running a Scion game and am prepping for another WoD game. I'd love to do more sci-fi RPGs, but the folks I game with prefer fantasy or modern style settings.

Also, I LARP. Both in a salon style, and with boffers. Laugh if you want to, then come out and try and keep up. ;) Also, while not a LARP but still with foam weapons, I fight Dagorhir. Spear mostly, sometimes other things.

Also, Catan rocks. I don't get to play it often enough.

I started video gaming on the Atari, moved up to the old 8bit NES when I was about 8, got a Sega Genesis when I was in 6th grade. Earth worm JIm on Sega channel and Buck O'hare were some of my favorites. We got our first computer when I was 15, right around the time that I was introduced to Vampire the Masquerade table top game. On the computer I played Caesar III and Diablo II.

Runic wolf's gamer friends took me in after he left for basic training. They bought me my first deck of magic cards and got me into their after school D&D game. We played a hybrid of 2nded when the 3rd Ed rules came out and our gm wanted to give them a try.

We currently have a Wii and a 360. I am playing through Dragon age origins. On the PC I play City of Heroes. We table top game every week, alternating between Changeling and Scion. I <3 white wolf. We also LARP.

For years we played Legend of the Five Rings the card game, but there are no local players around here. I played Blood Angels on Warhammer 40k up until a few years ago and Britonians in Fantasy. I currently have a Retribution army for Warmachine.

Everyone should play Settlers of Catan...... They even have it computerized for Xbox 360.

Last edited:
I've played Magic (high school) and Legend of the Five Rings (college) and even LARP'd a bit, but none of them ever grabbed me.

And I SUCK at strategy games. Good at Tetris, though.

I must be one of the loan wolfs. I started out on board games such as Clue, Monopoly and life then one day discovered D&D and was hooked for years on it. Computer games had not really come out then except for in the arcades and since we did not have much money RPG's was my escape. I would still play them but cannot find anyone in my area who want to play and can work with my schedule and around kids. Later on I discovered computer games but I never really got involved in them to much except for the original wolfestien and all of the Doom games. I do not care for the FB games and have no time for the online games like WoW and stuff.

Back