Hello from New Hampshire

Bi, poly, trans woman. Software/network/research geek by trade. INFP at heart. Dreamer, creator, lover of all that grows and changes and a well reasoned argument. From New Orleans originally, also lived in FL and NYC. Mother to a 3yo son.

I'm in the midst of divorce, was in a balanced triad with my ex and M about 10 years ago. M passed away suddenly a few months ago, to my deep regret and sorrow, most of all because we hadn't spoken in years, and I don't think he knew how much I still felt for him.

Polyamory, for me, is as much how I conceptualize relationships as the number of them. I don't experience the traditional categorical distinction between friends and lovers, but more of a continuum of intimacy. That plus long periods of monogamy had lead to me isolating myself in my marriage. Participating here is one way I'm trying to turn that isolation around.

Greetings PragmaticFreeSpirit,
Welcome to our forum. Please feel free to lurk, browse, etc.

Glad to have you onboard; sorry to hear about the divorce and M passing away. That's a lot of stuff to have to work through at one time.

It sounds a little like relationship anarchy might be a comfy fit for you. It blends well with polyamory, so that's good too.

I hope you'll enjoy your stay with us and find many interesting threads to read and post in.
Sincerely,
Kevin T., "official greeter" :)

Notes:

There's a *lot* of good info in Golden Nuggets. Have a look!

Please read through the guidelines if you haven't already.

Note: You needn't read every reply to your posts, especially if someone posts in a disagreeable way. Given the size and scope of the site it's hard not to run into the occasional disagreeable person. Please contact the mods if you do (or if you see any spam), and you can block the person if you want.

If you have any questions about the board itself, please private-message a mod and they'll do their best to help.

Welcome aboard!

It sounds a little like relationship anarchy might be a comfy fit for you. It blends well with polyamory, so that's good too.

Interesting! Thank you for that connection! I can't honestly say I really know where exactly I fit yet, and I certainly don't want to misappropriate poly and it's community.

Certainly I'm looking at my relationships a lot differently than I did last I was in the poly community. At that time, some of the intimate network/non hierarchical poly people (who seemed strange to me at the time) seemed closer to what is now known as RA, so I had figured I probably fit with them now.

I am starting to understand the independence of those two concepts though, and it's helping clarify a large muddy space in my mental map. Thanks again for introducing me to these shiny new ideas. *bounce* :)

Welcome welcome!

We're planning an eventual move to western Mass and it's good to hear about mindful poly people like you in the neighborhood. :)

There are a couple of warmhearted poly groups in New England and it sounds like you'd hit it off with the members of those.

Again: welcome! Lovely to make your acquaintance.

Alan & Anna

Back