the 12 hour post editing limit

breathemusic

So I understand the concept of limiting the ability to edit posts so that way down the line things can't be changed... but is the timeline on that adjustable? Is there a reason the limit was set to 12 hours? That seems very short. I would love it if the limit could be 24 hours to give people a larger window to catch mistakes (like using real names or clarifying things if a post was jumbled with abbreviations and such). Sometimes people post and aren't able to check back within those 12 hours, so it just seems like it would reduce the number of requests to have a mod fix something if there was just a BIT more time.....

I actually think 12 hours is too much ...

If 24 hours could be set for the blog section at least, it would be nice. I often come back the next evening and facepalm at the language mistakes I've made... and frankly, sometimes deleting details in overly emotional posts would be nice too.

It would be nice if blog keepers had more ability to edit or delete our own posts in our blogs.

But if the time frame for the blog section ONLY could be modified, I'd make it even longer than 24 hours. Like a few days, even, or a week. Just so it was long enough for states of emotional stress to resolve, and for a person to realize if they'd said more than they should. Most of the times that I have been in a state of emotional extremity, it's been hormones or drop or something, and within 2-3 days I'm a whole different person.

I know, it's probably not possible, and I'm not asking for this...I just wish.

I'm seeing a pattern. Those who have written hundreds of posts think 12 hours is too much, those who have written less, feel that 12 hours is not enough.

My totally unscientific conclusion from this is that when you're not used to writing on a forum, you tend to guess and second guess yourself in the constant balance to want to write something engaging whilst bearing in mind its permanency and whether this is something you want to stay visible to everyone forever. In particular, I often wonder if I would want my (hypothetical) children, and (hypothetical) children's (hypothetical) children to ever see some of what I write.

I am interested to know why Kevin and Vince think that 12 hours is too much...guys?

(-insert tone of respectful curiosity-)

I'm seeing a pattern. Those who have written hundreds of posts think 12 hours is too much, those who have written less, feel that 12 hours is not enough.

My totally unscientific conclusion from this is that when you're not used to writing on a forum, you tend to guess and second guess yourself in the constant balance to want to write something engaging whilst bearing in mind its permanency and whether this is something you want to stay visible to everyone forever. In particular, I often wonder if I would want my (hypothetical) children, and (hypothetical) children's (hypothetical) children to ever see some of what I write.

How on earth would these hypothetical people associate it with you? That's exactly *why* I discuss some of what I discuss, here. Certainly I discuss poly things on my (under my real name) FB in groups, but not the deep emotional stuff. There is the chance that someone who knew me VERY well could come here and realize that I am who I am (the location is real, the nicknames are descriptive, some of the things I discuss are kind of specific, it's plausible) but this is a pretty quiet, anonymous corner of the internet.

I've seen, more than once, instances where someone posted an OP describing their situation and asking for advice, then where one or more people posted advice as requested, then where the OP used the 12-hour edit window to erase their post. The result being that the advice posted thereafter makes no sense. I think this is unfair to the people who invest time and thought into helping the OP. It means that future newbies will see that thread, and get nothing out of it. I think that is massively uncool.

I've seen, more than once, instances where someone posted an OP describing their situation and asking for advice, then where one or more people posted advice as requested, then where the OP used the 12-hour edit window to erase their post. The result being that the advice posted thereafter makes no sense. I think this is unfair to the people who invest time and thought into helping the OP. It means that future newbies will see that thread, and get nothing out of it. I think that is massively uncool.

This. Plus, I've seen people use editing as a form of gaslighting and trolling in other forums.

Read the post before you hit reply. Then read it right after. Then there is no need for a 12 hour window. The forums on eBay have a 5 minute window...lol.

For the record, I like a 12 hour edit window. I think it's more newbie friendly. If you're new to forums and come here all confused, angry, sad, sleep deprived and want help. Your mind tends to be in flux and all mushy. 12 hours allows you to potentially sleep, wake up feeling different then go fix something you might think is embarrasing.

As the newbies post more, they get better (I think) and no longer edit after 12 hours. They then become senior members, then spaminators, and contribute positively to the forum.

My argument for a 12 hour edit window is that if they have a poor initial experience, they start to regret posting things and then never come back. I suspect our numbers here will dwindle. Just my opinion.

. I suspect our numbers here will dwindle.

Quality over quantity... I rather like the somewhat small community that's here.

At the same time though, everybody was new, once.

I still like the idea of an edit window of at LEAST 12 hours. But when I edit, I always preface with "EDIT:" so that people know I did.

Sometimes a situation evolves and it feels natural to add a thought.

And frankly, there are times I overshare. Well. A lot of times. It's kind of a habit. I have, however, gone to my partners and been very clear that I am abundantly willing to change my habits if they are uncomfortable, to please please let me know. I can keep my mouth shut, it just isn't my default mode. If not told to keep-shush, odds are, I won't.

So, I personally could benefit from a BIGGER window. But the obvious argument to that is, I should be more discreet in what I post... Oh well. *shrug* As my Zen says, "adapt, overcome." And my fanciful wish would only be for my own blog thread to have that...not anywhere else.

Kevin and Vinsanity:

Yes, I see where that could happen, but I haven't seen it happen very often at ALL here. More than anything, if an OP is unhappy with the advice, they just fuck off and never respond back.

Which, honestly, if they aren't ready for a little bit of kindly intended tough love, they're gonna have a hard time in most forums. This is by far one of the more intelligent, considerate, and civil forums I've ever seen.

Honestly, I really only care about the editing window for blog posts, not anywhere else. That's where I tend to write really long posts, and where I'm the most likely to accidentally use a real name instead of a person's nickname... which is the primary reason that I care about editing. I could care less if there's a short editing window for the rest of the forum. But on my own personal blog, I should be able to edit my posts as I see fit, cause it's my blog.

Or if the window isn't going to be longer, then there should be more moderators who are able to quickly respond to a request to have a blog fixed to name correct if it's outside of the editing window.

This issue I found with this over the years though is 1) Who are the mods?
2) what is said mods are accidently involved in the said post issue / and or you feel uncomfortable asking for help with pointing a potential stranger to the initial mishap (and names, and it just feels a little vulnerable)
and 3) I also agree that if its "our blog" it would be nice to be able to edit our own posts. I'm not sure if the forums themselves are setup at that way to allow such a thing for the blog section only.

However I do also agree that the 12 hours is too long for the rest of the forum because its really irritating, like the guys said when you go back to read old posts and find the OP deleted their post. sigh.

oh and one more thing, it would also be nice to not be automatically subscribed to threads you're just reading occasionally. I'm not sure why that keeps happening to me but i regularly have to clear our my folder of subscribed threads even if I don't recall ever subscribing- just by virtue of clicking on it I think I get email updates.

1) Who are the mods?
There's a link to the list at the bottom of the top-level forum page: View Forum Leaders

2) what is said mods are accidently involved in the said post issue / and or you feel uncomfortable asking for help with pointing a potential stranger to the initial mishap (and names, and it just feels a little vulnerable)
I think you mean "what if a mod is part of the problem you need fixed", but I'm not sure, so please clarify if I'm wrong. You can either PM another mod or use the Report Post button (red triangle at the top right corner of the post), which will ensure that all mods are notified. If you're uncomfortable asking a stranger to make a change then you need to think more carefully before hitting the Submit button.

Please note we will only make changes in exceptional circumstances such as where there is a credible threat to your privacy or safety, and will not make changes that substantially change the meaning of your post.

3) I also agree that if its "our blog" it would be nice to be able to edit our own posts. I'm not sure if the forums themselves are setup at that way to allow such a thing for the blog section only.
I suspect not, but I don't know what tools the admins have available to them.

oh and one more thing, it would also be nice to not be automatically subscribed to threads you're just reading occasionally. I'm not sure why that keeps happening to me but i regularly have to clear our my folder of subscribed threads even if I don't recall ever subscribing- just by virtue of clicking on it I think I get email updates.
I've never encountered that behaviour, and it doesn't seem to match any of the options available in my User CP. Does anyone else have a similar problem?

Last edited:
I've never encountered that behaviour, and it doesn't seem to match any of the options available in my User CP. Does anyone else have a similar problem?

I currently have 21 threads in my "subscribed" list - I don't know what triggered them, I didn't do anything in particular to make that happen. I turned off notifications so it doesn't bother me - I don't use the forum that way (although, come to think of it, this might be WHY I changed my settings and don't use that feature - it was a long time ago).

I currently have 21 threads in my "subscribed" list - I don't know what triggered them, I didn't do anything in particular to make that happen. I turned off notifications so it doesn't bother me - I don't use the forum that way (although, come to think of it, this might be WHY I changed my settings and don't use that feature - it was a long time ago).

The only threads I am subscribed to are ones that I've replied to. I don't know if there's a different way you can also subscribe to threads, but I know it happens when you either post a new thread or respond to an existing one.

I only get notifications for threads I've replied to, and I've never messed with the settings on that.

Back